Change door opening on cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, maybe more related to kitchen fitting. Here goes. I would like to convert one side of a traditional double horizontal opening, high level kitchen cupboard unit to vertical opening as it is awkward to access in the position its in at the moment. I thought I could just swap the hinges to the top of the cupboard relatively easily. But thinking a bit deeper I would need to fit some kind of gas strut or counter balance system to stop the door from just falling when let go. Also I don't want it to open all the way otherwise my vertically challenged other half won't be able to reach when it needs to be closed. Has anyone done this before? If so is there some kind of complete kit or special hinge assembly that can be purchased or will I have to get some parts individually?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Mr Foxhole. Looks like the kind of thing I'm after. One question though, they range from 50-120 Newtons. Can you suggest a way of figuring out which one I might need. Could order one of each and return the unused one's I suppose but would like to get the correct one to begin with.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could always measure the door and send the vendor a question

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back