Change light fitting in a church

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was reading the article linked to in the Wiki about Building Warrants (Scotland) and am left a little confused.

In the table for domestic buildings there is a row for changing luminaries which says "not required" in all columns. However, there is on such row in the non-domestic buildings table.

Can someone please interpret it for me as to whether changing a light fitting (straight swap, no wiring change) is permitted in a non-domestic building (church)?

Thanks

Colin C

Sponsored Links
from the scotish building regs, schedule 3 "DESCRIPTIONS OF BUILDING AND WORK, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF SERVICES, FITTINGS AND EQUIPMENT, NOT REQUIRING A WARRANT"

B. On condition that this work, service, fitting or equipment is to a standard no worse than at present.

24. Any work associated with the replacement of a fitting or equipment, in whole or in part, by another of the same general type, including a sanitary facility (together with any relevant branch soil or waste pipe), rainwater gutter or downpipe, solid fuel combustion appliance, electrical fixture, ventilation fan, chimney or flue outlet fitting or terminal, fire hydrant or main, lift or escalator, solid waste chute or container, kitchen fitments or other fitted furniture and ironmongery. Except-Any door, window or rooflight. Any oil firing or gas fired boiler.

so from that, I'd say that you don't need a warrant to change a light fitting providing you don't make it any worse than it is..

Sponsored Links
Excellent thanks for the help guys. Obviously competence is the most important factor here but then it always is!

Colin C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back