Changing Light Fitting, extending wire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently changing the majority of the light fittings in our house that we moved into 8 months ago. Most of them were straight forward. One of them, the lighting cable wasn't quite long enough and didn't have any slack in the ceiling to pull some more through.

The only way I was able to fit the light fitting was by taking out 2 screws that fixed the connector block to the inside of the new light fitting meaning the connector block is now loose inside the fitting. I'm not sure how safe/dangerous this is so considering slightly extending the lighting cable by about 2 inches.

What is the best way to do this? Is it using a junction box? If so can someone point me in direction of the correct junction box I would need please. The box would go back up through the hole in ceiling, just giving a bit of extra cabling giving more room for manoeuvre.

The house is 3 years old so classed as a new build. I have enclosed a picture, can anybody tell from the pic whether the cabling is 1mm or 1.5mm?

Thankyou in advance.

Andy

Attachments

• 20180220_121222.jpg
    20180220_121222.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 557
Sponsored Links
Thanks, I thought it might be but then thought it's fixed to the inside of the light fitting for a reason so thought I'd better check, if its easy enough extending the lighting cable then I don't mind taking the light fitting back down again and doing it properly. Just thought I'd check peoples opinions.

Does the fitting also have a small metal tag that was clamped into the earth terminal of the connector block ? If it does you may have disconnected the earth to the fitting .

Sponsored Links
It does Yes Terry but I managed to get the metal tag back in by gently bending it a bit, just couldn't get in with any screwdriver to fix the connector block back to the light fitting, (light fitting is about 11" diameter so difficult to tilt it enough to get access.

You need to reinstate the earth connection. Get another terminal block the same size and attach it to the metal tag while the fitting is off the ceiling. Then fit a short piece of 1mm2 earth wire cut from an offcut of T&E to the other terminal and connect that to the earth wire in the ceiling cable. Don't forget to sleeve the earth wire with G/Y sleeving.

So you now have a loose terminal block ,and its not certain that the lug is still in proper contact with the CPC as you are relying on the terminal screw alone to keep it there ,whilst you have manoeuvred the fitting into position. Not ideal really .as you now can't see it ,and don't know for sure that it is properly earthed. I would suggest you take it down ,refit the securing screws on connector block / earth lug back to its original state and add cable using a 2 nd terminal block

Thanks Terry, thats the one thing I was worried about. I considered using something like this wagobox junction box which I can push up into hole in ceiling. Does this junction box look suitable?

Cheers

Attachments

• Wagobox.jpg
    Wagobox.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 213
With 11 inch diameter base plate on the light fitting why push anything into the ceiling ? You could just use another terminal block as suggested above and and 3 or 4 inches of t/ e linking the two.

Yea i guess that would prob be easier lol, I'll grab a terminal block tomorrow and some t&e wire and earth sheath.

Thanks.

I suppose your missus wants new metal switch plates now to match the fancy new lights !! If so make sure you earth them properly as well !!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Terry, I will eventually get round to changing all the switches and sockets lol. The house is nearly new and had all chrome light fittings already but the previous owners picked different fittings for each room and it looked mismatched lol so changing em all the fitting I've attached below. I'll have a look for the spliceline connectors, If i use terminal blocks, I'm guessing 15A blocks will be fine?

Andy

Attachments

• Summanus.png
    Summanus.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 158

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back