Light fitting trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just moved into a new property and I'm trying to put up some light fittings. I've done it before but I seem to be running into problems in my new house.

Basically previous there was a ceiling rose and I'm trying to fit a new light that has 3 connection blocks (live, neutral, earth). I've removed the ceiling rose and connected the 3 live connectors together. However, I literally can't fit the remaining 6 cables into the chocbox that comes with the light. The cables coming down from the ceiling are really thick solid core wires. I've already accidentally snapped one trying to bend it.

I need to connect 3 earth, 2 neutral and live from switch into the 3 connectors inside the chocbox but there is physically no way they'll fit into the box or fit inside the tiny screw connectors inside. Plus even if I could get them to fit there is no way I can fit all that into the fitting, there isn't room.

I was thinking of going into the loft, pulling the wires back through, joining them together in a bigger junction box in the loft and dropping just 3 wires down through the ceiling.

Would this work or am I missing some simpler way of fitting the light?

Thanks,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Use a seperate chocolate block for the 6x live wires (you will have to link each of the terminals together) and poke it back into the ceiling and have just a single wire coming from the choco block, do this for the earth and neutral also.

Ideally though you should go into the loft space and fit a proper junction box. This would be the correct way of doing it, then you can just drop the 3 wires you need from the junction box through the hole in the ceiling to your light fitting.

Hello,

I've just moved into a new property and I'm trying to put up some light fittings. I've done it before but I seem to be running into problems in my new house.

Basically previous there was a ceiling rose and I'm trying to fit a new light that has 3 connection blocks (live, neutral, earth). I've removed the ceiling rose and connected the 3 live connectors together. However, I literally can't fit the remaining 6 cables into the chocbox that comes with the light. The cables coming down from the ceiling are really thick solid core wires. I've already accidentally snapped one trying to bend it.

I need to connect 3 earth, 2 neutral and live from switch into the 3 connectors inside the chocbox but there is physically no way they'll fit into the box or fit inside the tiny screw connectors inside. Plus even if I could get them to fit there is no way I can fit all that into the fitting, there isn't room.

I was thinking of going into the loft, pulling the wires back through, joining them together in a bigger junction box in the loft and dropping just 3 wires down through the ceiling.

Would this work or am I missing some simpler way of fitting the light?

Thanks,

Tom
What you say is correct

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back