Is this Parallel circuit/wiring correct for ELV downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Hi

I haven't ordered the Chocboxes, luminaires or transformers yet, and before I do
I thought it best to check with you guys in case I need anything else to commence this job.

More importantly - is the following correct?

As I understand it, the best way to rig the lighting circuit up is in a star/parallel fashion.

Is the following correct for ELV IP65 light fittings?

With the ceiling rose cables now in the loft - I will exchange the blue + brown that fed the
old pendant light fitting with 1.5 T&E cable.

CHOCBOX NUMBER 1

This 'new' 1.5 cable goes to Chocbox number 1. (cable A)

Another 1.5 cable goes into Chocbox to feed Chocbox number 2 (and so on) - (cable B)

The connections inside Chocbox will be;

cable A and cable B (Live) are connected together

cable A and cable B (Neutral) are connected together

cable A and cable B (Earth) are connected together

From Chocbox to transformer will be 1.5 cable (live and neutral) connected respectively
to cable A and cable B

Transfer tails go straight to IP65 rated light fitting.

Just before the LAST light fitting, the connections to the Chocbox is NOT carried on,
but feeds the LAST transformer only.

i.e. there are no returning connections to be made.

If the cable lengths are kept to a reasonable length, then all halogen bulbs
should glow the same rate.

One other point - if the transformers do not have 'tails' what cable should I use?

I would appreciate if someone could confirm if this is correct OR point out where
I've gone wrong, or add any tips.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I thought it best to check with you guys in case I need anything else to commence this job.

Yes. The lighting installation you are planning is notifiable.

BEFORE YOU START

You must apply to your local authority and pay the relavent fee. The council will need to inspect your work at various stages and will expect to see correct certification and test results that confirm what you have done complies with BS7671 and Building Regulations.

Is the (lighting) circuit you are installing/modifying protected by a 30mA RCD or RCBO??

Sorry Taylortwocities, I should have seen this one coming;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The CU is a Crabtree ST Breaker.

Not printed on the plastic casing BUT on a paper sticker is the following;

(RCD) Main SWITCH.

So this is not a split board.

The CU has an orange test button.

As far as I can ascertain an RCD is NOT required by 17th edition if updating lighting circuit.

I stand to be corrected.

You ask if I have notified the local authority - No.

I'm old school - do not inform the council of anything unless I feel it is warranted.

Does 17th Edition emanate from Europe?

If so, then definitely not.

Sorry Taylortwocities, I'm very touching about Europe.

Are you able to answer my questions?

Thank you.

As far as I can ascertain an RCD is NOT required by 17th edition if updating lighting circuit.
Nothing to do with it being a lighting circuit, but with how and where the cables are installed.
However you have already stated your CU has a single RCD as the main switch, so all of the circuits must be RCD protected.

No, it's based on an international standard, IEC 60364.

You ask if I have notified the local authority - No.
I'm old school - do not inform the council of anything unless I feel it is warranted.
You therefore choose to ignore the law as and when it suits you?

Sponsored Links

It's origins are split between a British organisation (The IEE) and an international standard.

The 17th Edition is a British Standard. Britain is part of Europe, so yes.

If you're going to ignore the requirement to notify to building control then be aware, it might cause problems when selling your house. Like this person:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=265313

It might also invalidate your home insurance (and hence your mortgage).

Worst case, it could see you in court for killing someone.

I've read a few other posts, and now I know I was correct in my thinking, I will go ahead
fitting this lighting when it arrives on Monday.

Not one question regarding the circuit was answered.

Difficult to ascertain I know, but how many people do you think who fit lighting of any kind,
or do any regular DIY electrical work at home, bother to contact the council?

I have and will continue to contact the authorities for work such as extensions
and the like, but not for fitting lights.

Granted if I didn't know what I was doing, and I caused a fire - and the investigation
came back to my incompetence then I would have a problem with the insurance/mortgage etc.

Personally I would not risk that if I thought I had the slightest chance of not
completing the work correctly.

I'm getting on a bit, and come from a time when the Nanny state was not looking over
my shoulder or trying to screw me for an extra shekel every step of the way.

We were free, and left for the most part, to our own devices.

I thought this site was here to help DIY'ers (like other DIY sites do) without constantly
trying to point out the errors of our ways to us regular folk who just want to get the job done.

Thanks anyway. ;)

The Part P regulations allow you to extend an existing lighting circuit but not to add ELV lighting installations, unless they're preassembled. So, if the secondary of the transformer is already connected to the light (and is CE marked) you can go ahead without notifying under part P.

An alternative to remain legitimate is to add 230V lights instead of ELV lights.

I'm assuming that your lighting fitting does not extend into a kitchen or bathroom. (A good reason to fit downlights in such rooms).

The Part P regulations allow you to extend an existing lighting circuit but not to add ELV lighting installations, unless they're preassembled. So, if the secondary of the transformer is already connected to the light (and is CE marked) you can go ahead without notifying under part P.

An alternative to remain legitimate is to add 230V lights instead of ELV lights.

I'm assuming that your lighting fitting does not extend into a kitchen or bathroom. (A good reason to fit downlights in such rooms).

I know this is a rather old thread but I have a query regarding this comment.

I'm looking to replace the lights in my kitchen/diner (was formerly a kitchen but a wall has been taken down), the lights are currently two single pendants in each half of the room - I want to replace one of these with downlighters (in the kitchen side).

I have considered 12v ELV rather than 240v as apparently its a nicer light and a better option from what I have read, how do you define 'pre-assembled' so that I can work out whether or not I need to Notify?

file.php

Do you consider that applies?

Do you consider that applies?

I thought it relevant if the lights are pre-assembled as its a 'replacement'.

It is not replacement, repair or maintenance.

It is new, additional wiring in a kitchen, so its notifiable.

Also I'll bet you aren't looking at a CE marked set, it will be separate lights and separate transformers, so also notifiable.

A set will be something like you can buy at one of the sheds with a single transformer with several downlights already pre-wired.

Stoday is not the best person to look to for accurate comments in this area.

I'm looking to replace the lights in my kitchen/diner (was formerly a kitchen but a wall has been taken down), the lights are currently two single pendants in each half of the room - I want to replace one of these with downlighters (in the kitchen side).
As you say - downlighters.

You may replace the pendant with a downlight. Anything more than that and you are adding lights.

I have considered 12v ELV rather than 240v as apparently its a nicer light and a better option from what I have read, how do you define 'pre-assembled' so that I can work out whether or not I need to Notify?
Irrelevant - you're adding them in a kitchen, so it is notifiable no matter what type of lights you use.

See Schedule 4.

Stoday is not the best person to look to for accurate comments in this area.

As you say - downlighters.

You may replace the pendant with a downlight. Anything more than that and you are adding lights.

Irrelevant - you're adding them in a kitchen, so it is notifiable no matter what type of lights you use.

See Schedule 4.

Thanks dude.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back