Change of electrics required for new oven?

Sponsored Links
So they are but I'd say most standard practice is to use a 20A. I've never come across a 25A radial circuit before

Sponsored Links
So they are but I'd say most standard practice is to use a 20A. I've never come across a 25A radial circuit before
You should get out more:
Here's mine
Screenshot-2019-01-06-13-22-57.png

Last edited:
Maybe it's just where I work they always use 20A haha I can honestly say I've never known anyone use a 25A

Maybe the installation method has dropped Iz to below 25.

Maybe the make of board doesn't have a 25.

I had the work done yday and put in a 16 mcb breaker

I took comfort from his original explanation:

“ sure 20mcb that could work. Happy to be corrected on parts available. However, having just checked the cable ratings for twin and earth cable, 2.5mm, installed in a cavity wall (assuming some sort of insulation also within) and the cable touching the inner surface of the cavity wall, ref method 102, the maximum current allowed for the cable would actually be 21A.

Without knowing the exact construction method of the walls containing the cable, it’s generally best to assume the worst case scenario and therefore avoid any potential issues in the future.

I appreciate trying to find the easiest and quickest possible way to solve the issue at hand but there are many variables at play.

I still stand by my suggestions as being the safest most reliable method given your current situation and the information available without opening up walls for further investigation etc...

The rating of 27A that you were given earlier is correct, but only when the cable is run clipped directly to the surface of a wall. Not the most attractive way of running a cable, and not the way that the cabling in question is run in your house to your utility/kitchen areas.”

No issues to report yet!

I took comfort from his original explanation:

“ ..
The rating of 27A that you were given earlier is correct, but only when the cable is run clipped directly to the surface of a wall. Not the most attractive way of running a cable, and not the way that the cabling in question is run in your house to your utility/kitchen areas.”
He didn't tell you that it also applies to cables buried in chases in walls and/or plastered over?

OK - in your case your cables aren't but millions are, and they do have a rating of 27A and they are not surface mounted.

Fair point.
At the end of the day he’s seen the job in person

Clearly people think 16/20/25 could work - as long as it’s 16 isn’t dangerous tho it’s surely a matter of opinion!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back