Change of electrics required for new oven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all just got a new house and previous owner has a double oven similiar to below

https://ao.com/product/u1dhc0an0b-n...MIubi16qWs3wIVGuJ3Ch0T5wlMEAQYASABEgLyTPD_BwE

from her consumer unit she has a 4mm cable that for some reason then splits to two 2.5mm cables - one goes to a socket (for laundry and seperate microwave) in the room and one to the oven.

Her oven is a gas oven. So I’m guessing why it’s not such a thick cable. As electric is just to ignite?

ANYWAY - I would like to have a separate (electric) oven and microwave uni in place of her double oven and happy to re arrange the larder unit accordingly

BUT from electrics point of view - I’m worried her 2.5mm cables are not going to be useable here and I will have to run new cables from consumer unit?

Can anybody please advise I’m very stuck....

they don’t seem to sell proper oven microwave combos so guess I need 2 appliance and 2 8mm cables run from unit

That’s how my old house was

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Then, it's very likely that the oven and the microwave can be connected to the circuit as it is.

But hers is a gas double oven

I want to buy a separately electric oven and separate microwave ...so I’m worried about the “load” as the call it...:

To summarise - she has a 4mm cable that SPLITS INTO 2.5mm Cables for some reason

One goes into back of her current gas double oven. One goes to a socket in the kitchen for toaster kettle.

I want to somehow have a separate oven and seperate MW

I can send you the oven and microwave I have in mind

But what I don’t understand is - she has that 4mm cable from consumer unit split off into two 2.5mm cables

One to a socket in kitchen

One to her current GAS oven.

Say if one powers my new ELECTRIC OVEN

How can I then power a microwave if the electric cable goes to the socket!!

MW needs to be hard wired too but nothing to go into .... with current setup....

I can send you the oven and microwave I have in mind

But what I don’t understand is - she has that 4mm cable from consumer unit split off into two 2.5mm cables

One to a socket in kitchen

One to her current GAS oven.

Say if one powers my new ELECTRIC OVEN

How can I then power a microwave if the electric cable goes to the socket!!

MW needs to be hard wired too but nothing to go into .... with current setup....
I think you've answered your own question there. I'd be surprised if that 4mm cable will be suitable to supply an electric oven and a microwave.

How easy is it to run a new cable? Is access ok or will it require chasing out?

It sounds like the house was built or wired with an ordinary cooker circuit, and, perhaps due to insufficient socket outlets, somebody decided to repurpose it into sockets.

I wonder where the "split" is

Maybe it is at the old cooker connection.

Maybe it is a few wires twisted together, taped up, and hidden under the floorboards or behind a cabinet.

I wonder if you have, or will ever want, an electric cooker, or an electric hob, or an electric double oven.

If so (and anyway) you'd be better off reinstating a cooker circuit and, as a separate issue, correcting your socket shortage.

Some people (including me) have two cooker circuits in the kitchen, for example one on each side of the room, or one for an electric hob and one for a double oven.

A 4mm² cable - correctly installed - with 32A MCB is perfectly adequate for any cooking appliance(s) likely to be used in a domestic situation.

Whether yours is correctly installed, we don't know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back