Changing oven. Connection quiery.

To comply with BS7671, and the manufacturer's intent of it being supplied via a 13A fuse, replace the existing connection plate with one of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-capital-13a-unswitched-fused-spur-white/56715
Cut the plug off as close to the plug as possible, destroy what's left of the plug before disposal, and connect the flex into the new plate.

Thanks for the reply. Whats the difference between that spur, fused to 13a and a plug socket, with a 13amp fuse?

My main concern i spose, is .., forgive my ignorence,....is the fuseboard circuit for the oven okay to be 30amp (presumably due to the older oven being a 20amp oven) but at the * NEW * oven only be 13amp.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Whats the difference between that spur, fused to 13a and a plug socket, with a 13amp fuse?
Electrically - none.
However all socket outlets require RCD protection, FCUs do not.

is the fuseboard circuit for the oven okay to be 30amp
Yes, it protects the cable from the fuse to the outlet plate. That isn't changing.

Last Q first- yes the 30A at the fuseboard will be fine with either option above. The cabling from fuseboard to backplate is probably 6mm and protected correctly by the 30A fuse. The flex on your new oven will be protected by the 13A fuse in the plug (or in the FCU).

FCU or 13A socket...fairly recent changes in wiring regulations require that any new 13A sockets and associated cabling be protected by an RCD. You would be creating a new 13A outlet and thus should comply with those regs.
Replacing an unfused flex outlet with a fused flex outlet could easily be argued as a maintenance replacement rather than a new outlet. Plus you can hit depth problems with a plug sticking out behind an oven. Plus 13A plugs (especially cheap ones) can get hot at full load and cause problems down the line.
So same as @flameport , but he was far more succinct :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back