Change of electrics required for new oven?

Sponsored Links
Tbh I’m no electrician obviously

This is just what a couple of napit guys have both said

Change the 32 to a 16.

Does Anybody know where I can get a 16 amp breaker for my consumer unit please?

Pic attached

I’m going to supply to a friend who can do the whole thing for me :)

- change 32 to 16
- connect single oven up to existing fcu
- spur off socket to provide socket for microwave

Attachments

• 587ABDE9-6489-4F97-845B-7C10AE7A5AAC.jpeg
    587ABDE9-6489-4F97-845B-7C10AE7A5AAC.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy :)

My friend is an electrician - but not private

World to Service an apartment full time so asked me to get the part :)

Haven't read the whole thread but I'm a fully qualified electrician. What is the wattage of your new oven? The microwave on a 2.5 is no problem. It will be on a 13amp plug top. Ideally it's two 2.5 radial circuits so it should be on a 20A MCB maximum. Most cooker circuits are wired in 6mm

Haven't read the whole thread but I'm a fully qualified electrician. What is the wattage of your new oven? The microwave on a 2.5 is no problem. It will be on a 13amp plug top. Ideally it's two 2.5 radial circuits so it should be on a 20A MCB maximum. Most cooker circuits are wired in 6mm

Hi mike

The oven I bought is 3.2kw
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...-steam-oven-stainless-steel-10166671-pdt.html

I’ve had the old gas oven disconnected .

Will have single one connection to existing fcu. That’s on a 2.5mm radial and change breaker from 32 to 16

I will then spur off the kitchen socket ring (-also on 2.5mm) and make a plug for the portable microwave :)

3.2kw is 14A so your about right on a 2.5. That seems low power for an oven tho to be honest. The microwave will only be pulling about 5A. I'd stick it on a 20A MCB and see how you get on. The cable will be covered and from those wattages it shouldnt overload

3.2kw is 14A so your about right on a 2.5. That seems low power for an oven tho to be honest. The microwave will only be pulling about 5A. I'd stick it on a 20A MCB and see how you get on. The cable will be covered and from those wattages it shouldnt overload

Thanks

And yes I forgot to mention sorry - that from consumer unit - there’s a 4 or 6mm cable for about 1 metre that then splits off into

the 2.5 kitchen ring cable

The 2.5 radial oven

Why it’s like this I don’t know. The napit guys I had round said the person who converted the garage was probably not a sparky but “knew” some electrical stuff and was able to keep it going

Based on this - would you still say 20 or 16 mcb to replace the 32??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back