Changed WIFI router for hikvision -how to reconnect so hikvision app works?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it was connected via ethernet cable. i've connected the cable but need to do something with the settings i think, on the hikvision unit in the loft (to which all the cameras connect). i think something to do with IP addresses? i have aplay around but not sure how to sort it. any ideas?

hope thats enough inf and it all makes sense

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
At a guess it’s a different IP range , log into menu , configuration, network , untick dhcp or tick depending on what it was left on and apply … tick dhcp , apply it should now have a new IP address , try your app now …

oh ok, so it will automatically detect the ip range based on what is connected to the ethernet cable? is there no way to just connect to wifi as we do normally with a laptop, for example.

your help is much appreciated

oh ok, so it will automatically detect the ip range based on what is connected to the ethernet cable? is there no way to just connect to wifi as we do normally with a laptop, for example.

your help is much appreciated
I don’t think Hikvision DVR’s / NVR’s come with Wi-Fi built in as standard.

Sponsored Links
I think they connect via the web browser interface ? But if it’s not got an address you can’t , I assume you could try and connect via SADP tool , or connect a monitor to the machine

I think they connect via the web browser interface ? But if it’s not got an address you can’t , I assume you could try and connect via SADP tool , or connect a monitor to the machine
i have a monitor attached already. not sure which web browser interface this is-didnt see anything like this when i was playing around with it.

just fyi-i had a virgin router attached to it previously. then changed router and it stopped working. hence the issue i have now

The web browser is available by logging in from a laptop via its IP address
post picture what menu screen you have on the monitor connected to the machine ….as there are various versions

The web browser is available by logging in from a laptop via its IP address
post picture what menu screen you have on the monitor connected to the machine ….as there are various versions
i will do this thanks

As Sparky said, wrong IP range possibly gateway set for old router IP on a different range.
Enable dhcp then disable.

hikvision.jpg

so i tick n untick the "enable dns dhcp" box?

thats with the ethernet cable connected to router. and then it will detect the correct ip itself?

Untick it , apply at the bottom , tick it then apply again it should fill in the IP address , then apply ….check platform access at the top tab , it should say ONLINE , on that screen

Bit of background here;

To function on a network every device need a unique address, like a phone number. In the very old days we set everything manually and had to remember which had what, and mistakes were common. Then along comes DHCP which hands control of dishing out addresses to the router. A new device is added to the network and turn med on and it broadcasts a "help, I need an address" - the router figures out a free one and tells it. Different routers are configured for different patterns; your BT one might dish out 192.168.0.xxx where the xxx varies. Your virgin one might dish out 192.168.100.xxx - if your NVR got 192.168.0.233 when connected to the BT one, and you configured your app to that address, then swapping the router and the NVR getting 192.168.100.101 means the app can't communicate any more. You could jiggle the new router settings so it gives out addresses to the same pattern as the old one did, and you can make a specific reservation for the NVR so it definitely gets the same IP the BT router used to give it. Or you can let it acquire whatever IP it gets and then reconnect to it in the app.

If "Enable DHCP" is off, then it won't emit the "help, I need an address" message and will instead use what you manually give it, but if you manually give it an address that is out of pattern compared to the rest of the network, it won't connect anyway. By default the first 3 groups of digits on an 192.168.x address have to be the same for the devices to be able to talk to each other, so if the router is giving out 192.168.100.x addresses and you manually configure 192.168.0.x those devices will never communicate.

Best route I think, and that being proposed by sparkymarka is to turn off DHCP and turn it back on, which should make the NVR emit a "I need an address" and get an updated address from the new router. Ticking the option on and rebooting it should also do the same thing. You can then configure the app on your phone etc to use the new address the NVR got.

If the NVR isn't, for some reason, showing the correct address (I would expect, when Enable Dhcp is ticked, the ip box to show the address it was given) and you can't get it to work, you can usually get your router to tell you what address it gave out. Log into your router's admin pages and find somewhere a list of network clients and their addresses. You should see a MAC address listed that matches the MAC in the screenshot above. The IP address associated with that MAC is the address the router gave the NVR

---

The "Enable DNS DHCP" checkbox means "use the DNS server recommended by the router when it responds to the 'help..' message". If it is not enabled, you can manually specify your own DNS servers. It isn't the option being discussed here; sparkymarka is talking about the "Enable DHCP" option, not the "Enable DNS DHCP" option

Long story short, tick both settings on, save, reboot the NVR, open your Hik app and delete your existing configured NVR device and set up a new one, giving it the new address if it can't find it when it scans the network.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back