changing 3 port valve without draining down system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good evening 1 n all. can anyone please advise where to place "bungs" and what the "bungs" actually are? any other help or suggestions would be much appreciated. hoss55

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely that plugging the feed & vent would stop you getting very wet, as this method when you open one connection on a system, unfortunately you will have to open up three, thereby breaking the vacuum that is vital to stop the water pouring out, so either use a freezer kit or drain down I would advise the latter ;)

If you are asking about bungs and where to put them i dont advise you do it.....
Just drain down enough until the water level is below your 3 port....last one i did like that was a bucket and half of water.....
That was 2 days ago.....

It is unlikely that plugging the feed & vent would stop you getting very wet, as this method when you open one connection on a system, unfortunately you will have to open up three, thereby breaking the vacuum that is vital to stop the water pouring out, so either use a freezer kit or drain down I would advise the latter ;)

You should give it a go, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised!, unless the valve is higher than all the rads on the top floor I bung 2ports and three ports and never failed me yet.

I appreciate its hard to show it but trust me these bungs are holding this valve swap

Sponsored Links
Some systems have plenty of gate valves (red wheel-headed valves) fitted on the pipework leading to the motorised valve.

The other day, I changed a motorised valve by turning off a couple of gate valves, and one of the pump valves. Then undid the compression nuts securing the mot. valve, and only a small amount of water came out into a strategically placed bucket.

You may be lucky, see if you have valves on the pipes leading to the mot. valve.

thanks to everyone for all advise and suggestions. valve replaced and all working correctly. as a bonus i didnt get wet either!.only took 45 mins. (2 valves close to defective one.) only drained. 1 1/2 buckets off

bungs work for everything.

ive had 5 open ends before, i just didn't know it at the time. :LOL:

Remember that you should only use time-served bungs and buckets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back