changing a light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this is a photo of the new light fitting and there appears to be a safety sheath attached to the wiring. Is this to be removed prior to installation or are the wires pushed through?

IMG_0965.JPG

I assume it's designed to fuse shut in the event of over heating cables and so the wires should be pushed through ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
this is a photo of the new light fitting and there appears to be a safety sheath attached to the wiring.
Not in that photo.

Are you talking about the heat-shrink tubing over the wirenuts, or crimps, or whatever-they-have-used joining the conductors together?

Is this to be removed prior to installation or are the wires pushed through?
If you can remove the sleeving, or even move the conductors inside the whatever-they-have-used then the light is dangerously shoddy, and you should return it.

I assume it's designed to fuse shut in the event of over heating cables and so the wires should be pushed through ?
This is neither a rhetorical nor points-scoring question:

Please tell us what sort of devices you think those are, and what they would do in the event of something overheating which would stop the overheating?​

It's a heat shrink which is designed to shrink with excessive heat.

If you have a problem with b&q lights manufactured in china please tell them about it, I'm sure they will want to hear from you even more than I do.

No - it is heat shrink which is designed to shrink when the right amount of heat is applied. Which it has been - hence the fact that the sleeving has shrunk.

If you have a problem with b&q lights manufactured in china please tell them about it, I'm sure they will want to hear from you even more than I do.
I don't, per se.

You were the one who thought he might be able to remove the tubing and/or "push the wires through" - all I did was point out that if you found you could then you've got a flaky product in your hands.

Please explain how you think that would work to stop the excessive heat, or interrupt the mechanism causing it.

Sponsored Links
No.

But you thought it did. It is this kind of ignorance of basic electrical concepts and techniques, and dodgy misconceptions, which mean that you should not be attempting electrical work on the basis of asking questions about what you think you need to know.

this is the purpose of a question. In this case one that I answered myself

I didn't understand what the original question was getting at.

Presumably, obviously there is a connector (out of the picture) with L, N & E marked.
Nothing has to be removed, changed or pushed through.

Yes, I guess so, unless it has been made wrong. I was just trying to tease a little more information out, once World War 3 has died down.

The black parts are heatshrink over single end crimp terminals similar to these: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-closed-end-connectors/8388383/
used when manufacturing the light.

The white sleeves are heat resistant fibreglass, as the other ends of them will get hot.

Connections are made to the terminal block which is not shown in the picture.

Hi guys, sorry I guess it was me being unclear once again. I was asking what to do with the sheath/heat shrink as I've not seen one before in a light fitting, I assumed I might need to do something with it before wiring up the light, sorry about the confusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back