Changing columbus switches to pir

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have a rental property split into 3 flats I'm wondering whether it's worth changing the columbus switches to normal switches and replacing the lamps to led ones with pir sensors ?

As it would be more convenient for tenants.

Thanks
Back to basics,

1, why is it inconvenient?
2, Why is youe EPC recommending you fit devices which are going to consume an additional 10KWh each per year when the existing devices consume nothing?

Sorry I meant the epc is recommending storage heaters.

Its inconvenient as you need to press the buttons (I was also thinking it was more hygenic not to have to touch them) also not ideal if your hands are full when moving furniture in or out up the stairs and the lights go off.

Tbh I think I'll just set the timer for longer and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice.

Change them to 2x 10W LED lamps, and normal switches.
If they get left on permanently, it will cost about £20 per year in electricity.
Less if they are switched off some of the time.

PIRs, timers and other nonsense will be broken long before any electricity savings cover the cost of them.

Agreed. It also gives a better impression having permanent lighting, which directly or indirectly translates into higher rent and happier tenants.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I meant the epc is recommending storage heaters.

Its inconvenient as you need to press the buttons (I was also thinking it was more hygenic not to have to touch them) also not ideal if your hands are full when moving furniture in or out up the stairs and the lights go off.

Tbh I think I'll just set the timer for longer and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice.
Ah OK.
My tenant actually suggested panel heaters throughout but the property was at 69 and next year it needs to be 71 for a private landlord to be rentable. Changing to panel heaters would have changed it to 58 so unrentable. To move up I had to change the main [lounge] NSH to a HHR [high heat retention - I think] but the bedroom classed as something like ancilliary so didn't need to be NSH.

I don't know about your assessor but mine is totally approachable and happy to give advice over the phone. Ironically when I refurbed a property between tenants she was assessing a neighburs flat and he recommended her. She came in the day after vacation and it was a horrible mess, [heavy smoker for 7 years] she had a quick look around then opened her laptop and promptly told me I had 3 years left on her previous EPC, seems my managing agent had got her in when it was empty before, and I'd never known. She could have so easily done a new EPC before it was due.

Agreed. It also gives a better impression having permanent lighting, which directly or indirectly translates into higher rent and happier tenants.
I learnt that one years ago, I treat the properties as if I was living there, my agents din't seem to understand that but they do seem to be able to get 'better' tenants in than my neighbours...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back