Changing from Salus RT500RF to Hive single channel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just need to confirm that this will work before I buy...

I have one cable coming out of my Baxi Platinum Combi 28 HE boiler into a Salus RT500RF receiver. I want to install Hive so is it just a case of L to L, N to N, Earth to Earth and COM to No1 on the Hive? I would imagine that I would need to leave the boiler in a permanently ON state on the manual timer?
upload_2019-11-22_8-39-32.png

upload_2019-11-22_8-39-53.png

upload_2019-11-22_8-40-12.png

Any help would be great and also save me a few bob

Sponsored Links
Reading the installation instructions yes it seems Hive will be about the best option for that boiler as no option to use ebus.

I like the theory of Hive, would love to know if it works in practice, but theory is the wall thermostat is sent a "heat on demand" signal from the Hive TRV heads if the target is below current so while any room with a Hive head wants heat the boiler continues to run, so the boiler can modulate using the return water temperature without the wall thermostat interfering with the process.

The Hive heads are a bit on the expensive side, so not sure if cheaper or more expensive than the others, and either you need to use PC or phone, or bend down and set on the TRV head, personally I would prefer EvoHome which has a wall thermostat display that allows you to easy adjust room temperatures without bending down or getting your phone out. Also as a complete package of 6 TRV heads and wall thermostat EvoHome is cheaper, only advantage of Hive is you can do it bit at a time.

No you have got it wrong, what you are calling the earth is because you are going by wiring colour , never do that on heating wiring , it means absolutely nothing
L to L
N to N
Grey wire in Com to 1 on hive
what you call earth to 3 on hive
you dont have or need an earth

I don't think the OP intends to use the TRV's, just the wall stat.

OP - your understanding is not correct at all. I'd seriously advise getting a professional in. However, use the following information as you will (I'm not familiar with either the boiler or the stat, so am relying on the manuals I've googled):

Boiler:
https://www.baxi.co.uk/our-boilers/...hash=9DFCE6C1D45832C8E7919E71C262846D1F622214

upload_2019-11-22_9-15-40.png

Allows 230V connection.

Stat:
https://salus-controls.com/files/RT500RF-Manual-006.pdf

upload_2019-11-22_9-16-9.png

So hive to stat connections are as follows:

Hive -> RT500RF
3 -> NO
1 -> COM
L -> L
N -> N

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I did think the earth was not an earth as all the other pics I've googled don't match up to mine. I will trace the cabling back to the boiler and confirm before using the connections stated above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back