changing from wired to wireless themostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change my current system of central heating themostat as it is situated at the top of the stairs/landing so the down stairs is cold and the up stairs is hot. The up stair radiators have tvrs and work very well, How every the themostat shuts down with all the heat from the hall no good in the living room when the doors are shut.
so i won`t to put in a wireless unit,do i have to change the programmer i have a lifestyle lp522 and a drayton themostat or does the wireless unit go inplace of the themostat it has 4 wires so i would need a similar one

Sponsored Links
There are many versions of wireless thermostats some with timers built in and even sensors outside and others very simple.

The ones with timers built in do not switch on and off with single temperature but change the control temperature so for example can be set to hold the temperature to 14degC overnight rising to 20degC in morning dropping to 18degC through day and rising again to 20degC in evening.

There is no way separate programmers and thermostats can do this. However like me you use TRV's upstairs and of course the single thermostat will not adjust their output.

I have found with my house there is an over shoot and when it is set to 20degC on a cold day after it has turned off when first switching on the temperature can continue rising to 22degC after the boiler has switched off. So setting at 18degC for first hour then to 20degC stops this over shoot. Again impossible using a non program type.

As to fitting mine is hard wired but I have fitted RF type and little or no difference all now seem to have volt free contacts. But the receiver on the RF type often needs a 230VAC supply. As to original timer I just set it to 24H on.

Much will depend on your house layout but using TRV's on all rooms may be an option. Mine is an open plan house only door downstairs is between kitchen and rest of house. Hence no TRV downstairs. But my daughters house is a more conventional design and a outside sensor is used to stop summer cycling.

split the house into zones ,and then use programmable stats for upstairs and downstairs,thus the bedrooms wont be heated unnecessairly.more efficient and economical system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back