Changing LED light's switch to a dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanna change my normal light switch for my LED light (8.5W) to a dimmer switch. I believe the L1 terminal takes the neutral (black) and L2 the live. Correct? There's no earth. I'll leave the C terminal empty.

Can't get white plastic knob to stay on either. Won't push on. Anything obviously wrong?

You can programme the dual mode dimmer, by switching 1 and 2 on or off. I've left them on

20220928_102636.jpg

20221003_104357.jpg
20221003_103213.jpg
20221003_103208.jpg
20221003_103108.jpg
20221003_102849.jpg
20221003_111716.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I believe the L1 terminal takes the neutral (black) and L2 the live. Correct?
As above not correct. Think, if your red and black were L and N operating the switch would short the supply.

If you look at the back of the old switch, what are the markings next to the points where the red and black wires connect?

I think that I can see a green/yellow wire at the top of one of the pictures, is that wire connected to the metal back box?

Is this your own home or for a customer?

Sponsored Links
I believe the L1 terminal takes the neutral (black) and L2 the live. Correct? There's no earth. I'll leave the C terminal empty.

Black is not neutral, it should be the switch wire. Connect red to C, black to L1, though it should work equally well with black to L2.

Just a reminder that the op is also a handy man who works in other people's properties for financial gain whilst using this site to complete the job. Of course this could well be his property, but be wary.

Just a reminder that the op is also a handy man who works in other people's properties for financial gain whilst using this site to complete the job. Of course this could well be his property, but be wary.
Well, he/she did start off with this
Wanna change my normal light switch for my LED light (8.5W) to a dimmer switch.
So I guess it's for his (my) consumption.

If you look at the back of the old switch, what are the markings next to the points where the red and black wires connect?

I think that I can see a green/yellow wire at the top of one of the pictures, is that wire connected to the metal back box?

Is this your own home or for a customer?

L1 is red, L2 is black in old switch.

In the bottom photo there's the option of setting 1 and 2 either on or off

20221005_100432.jpg

20221003_111716.jpg

Last edited:
L1 is red, L2 is black in old switch.

In the bottom photo there's the option of setting 1 and 2 either on or off
Ok. My post wasn't much help to you then, sorry about that. As Harry suggested above connect red to C, black to L1 in the new switch.

Switch 1 sets the minimum brightness, follow the instruction.
Switch 2 sets leading or trailing edge. Set it to off for trailing edge.
Nothing blows up if you get these switches in the wrong place.

Ok. My post wasn't much help to you then, sorry about that. As Harry suggested above connect red to C, black to L1 in the new switch.

Switch 1 sets the minimum brightness, follow the instruction.
Switch 2 sets leading or trailing edge. Set it to off for trailing edge.
Nothing blows up if you get these switches in the wrong place.
So I need the trailing edge setting.

I'll connect red to C and black to L1.

Oh, yeah, why can I not push white plastic knob on ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back