Changing LED light's switch to a dimmer

So I need the trailing edge setting.

I'll connect red to C and black to L1.

Oh, yeah, why can I not push white plastic knob on ?
Yes, usually trailing edge works best with LED lights.

Ok

Is the knob broken? Show us a photo of the back of it.

Sponsored Links
L1 is red, L2 is black in old switch.

In the bottom photo there's the option of setting 1 and 2 either on or off

Which is a completely different design and purpose of a switch. The original is clearly an intermediate switch, designed to go in the strappers of a two way circuit, to convert it to a three or more way switched system. Who ever, has simply repurposed it as a one way switch.

Yes, usually trailing edge works best with LED lights.

Ok

Is the knob broken? Show us a photo of the back of it.
20221005_111752.jpg
20221005_111726.jpg

Which is a completely different design and purpose of a switch. The original is clearly an intermediate switch, designed to go in the strappers of a two way circuit, to convert it to a three or more way switched system. Who ever, has simply repurposed it as a one way switch.

So simply put, shall I set it as a trailing edge and put red to C black to L1 or just leave with original switch?

Sorry, not up on electrics, are you saying it's OK to wire as I suggested above or not?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So simply put, shall I set it as a trailing edge and put red to C black to L1 or just leave with original switch?

Sorry, not up on electrics, are you saying it's OK to wire as I suggested above or not?
Yes

But more importantly, have you coped with the tricky knob fitting situation?;)

The knob and the spindle both look fine. It should be a case of simply lining up the flat bit of the knob with the flat bit of the spindle and pushing.

Quality knobs are a thing off the past

The $485 Volume Knob​

They improve HiFi no end so they must improve lighting as well..

Regards

Sin Nick ( short for Sinbad )

If you look (closely in pix) at settings for trailing edge I set switch 2 to OFF position. I left switch 1 to ON , is this correct?

The cable is thick do cut it so isn't doubled over and put into the terminals. The cables look a bit crunched up behind switch, not sure if this is a problem tried to push wires back into wall.

Result- it works (if a little delayed) . Thxs
20221005_165024.jpg
20221005_165232.jpg
20221005_164656.jpg

If you look (closely in pix) at settings for trailing edge I set switch 2 to OFF position. I left switch 1 to ON , is this correct?

Correct is what ever works, dimmable LED's vary in what they expect from a dimmer, so just use what ever setting works best, without the occasional flicker.

The cable is thick do cut it so isn't doubled over and put into the terminals.

Double over or not, it makes no difference, all that matter is - is the copper firmly clamped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back