Changing light switch to brass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title, I am changing my downstairs light switches from plastic to brass.

Took the screws out to have a look, found a live and a neutral, plus another live as this controls a light on the hallway which has another switch upstairs, but NO earth. The one upstairs is exactly the same.

I assume as its a plastic switch, they didnt bother, but i would have thought it would always need an earth, just in case.

Anyway, looked bit deeper, and there is an earth cable screwed into the metal box which the switch screws into.

Am i right in thinking, like the other switches, all i would need to do is connect an earth from this screw in the metal box, to the earth connector on the light switch? Cant see why not.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I assume as its a plastic switch, they didnt bother, but i would have thought it would always need an earth, just in case.

Anyway, looked bit deeper, and there is an earth cable screwed into the metal box which the switch screws into.

Consider yourself lucky - people often just cut it short :rolleyes:

Most plastic switches don't have an earth terminal, but terminating it to the metal box is a good thing as the metal screws holding the switch to the box could in theory become live.

That is why in older installations with no earth on the lighting circuit you are supposed to use plastic screw covers, or indeed plastic screws - though I've never seen them on sale.

As others have said fitting a flylead is fine. I would generally fit the cable earth to the switch, and then the flylead from there to the box though, as having an earth to the switch is more important.

In theory, if one of the lugs of the back box is fixed, no flylead is necessary as the screw will earth the box, but I would always fit one to be sure.

As already suggested, its also worth checking that the earth wire is connected to something - you'd be amazed how often it isn't connected to anything at the other end! Depending on how its wired, the switch drop wire will probably come from the ceiling rose, so check that the incoming/outgoing cables also have an earth.

Gavin

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but is there a specific regulation in BS7671 that states you should use plastic screws/screw covers?

It makes sense since the metal screws could become live but I have never seen anyone use plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back