changing light switches in new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
My brother was goin to change plastic light switches to nice brass and brushed steel ones but the wiring is all coloured red. It's a new built house is this legal. I thought the earth had to be showen differently. I'm abit worried because of him wanting to change from plastic to brass/steel without an earth wire.
thanks
Al

Sponsored Links
Earth is green and yellow. You'll find it in the switch box, in the wall. Use an offcut of the same cable to provide an earth to the new faceplates.

Red/red is perfectly "legal" (it complies with regs) and is often done this way, to show you that theres no neutrals at the switch point. ;)

Surely if it is a new build it should be brown/brown or brown/blue for switch wires.

I thought all new builds from 1st April 2004 had to use harmonised colours.

Sponsored Links
The earth or CPC should only be identified by a yellow/green striped sheath. The metal switches must be earthed unless specific instructions from the manufacturers state otherwise. I would have also thought in a new build the new colours would have been used, strange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back