Changing lightbulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was doing some destroy it yourself in the bathroom today and I had some problems putting the bulbs back in. They're the sunken in one's which you have to twist and pull out. The problem is that the people who did the original house were very slap dash and painted over the edges. As a result I had to dig them out and I can't get them back in again.

Any suggestions on how to get them back in again?

Mat

Sponsored Links
I think a picture is necessary. Just copy and paste or drag into the reply box.

I thought I knew what you meant until "painted over the edges". ???

This forum doesn't allow me to upload pictures from my phone unfortunately.

You can, ours the Upload a File button underneath and then choose the camera option

Sponsored Links
That was attempted but ultimately not possible from a phone.

I guess your phrasing is confusing because you can trust me when i say that is the way i upload photos and i use a phone for the forum.

I guess this is the wrong forum to use if you have a mobile phone.

When you say you can't get them back in, do you mean the hole is too big so they keep dropping out, or is something stopping them going back in?

Those either have two large spring clips on the removable part which just push into the black part in the ceiling, or two metal tabs which need to be rotated to lock into a groove in the black part.

As yours appears to have neither of those features, and also has what looks like silicone sealant or adhesive in there, it appears that the fittings have been broken/damaged/parts lost and the previous occupants glued them in.

The black can is also recessed into the ceiling - it should be flush, and it looks like someone has skimmed the ceiling and painted it while the lights were still in place.

The fittings are scrap. New lights are required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back