Seized bathroom spotlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have a couple of spot lights in our bathroom that are either on but very dim or go on for a second or two, before going out. Bulbs are clearly working, but I think there must be some loose wires or something which is causing them to go. Not on a dimmer switch.

Have tried to unscrew them to check the bulbs in the first instance but I can't get them out of the ceiling. They appear to be the twist variety (managed to get one out with simple quarter twist) but the other two are stuck firm.

With a little bit of prising with a screwdriver i managed to get one slightly loose, but can't work out how to now get into it. It still pulls back up into the ceiling, but i can pull down 1 cm or so. Looks like some rubber seal melded into the plaster, but a little hard to tell. Visible in the pics as the white band above the silver rim. There are no visible clips up the side of the light unit.

The other one is still stuck firm. Photos attached.

Am looking to do this without damaging the ceiling. What is my next best move!?!?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Luke

Attachments

• 20210504_215121.jpg
    20210504_215121.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 374
  • 20210504_215135.jpg
    20210504_215135.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 20210504_215213.jpg
    20210504_215213.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
There is normally a spring type fitting that pulls it tight to the ceiling, pull down the one that is already loose and you can take it from there.

Andy

@Nocluediyer you do not need to take the whole fitting out of the ceiling just to change the lamp. You stand a good chance of making a horlicks of the ceiling plaster if you try.

The chrome bezel should either separate from the lamp housing. Either turn the bezel anti clock a bit snd it should come off. Sometimes it just needs a gentle pull.

Thanks, both

@HERTS P&D - its a different kind of fitting to the vid.

@Taylortwocities - yea, I'm not trying to take the whole thing out! It just won't twist out as it's seized up. Now it's a bit loose from the plasterwork it turns but doesn't seem to be unscrewing.

Pics of the one that does unscrew below, in case you can give any more tips on what to do with the seized up one!

Attachments

• 20210505_134017.jpg
    20210505_134017.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 20210505_133947.jpg
    20210505_133947.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 192
Sponsored Links
If the stuck one is the same as the one in the latest picture, it looks like it is just held in by the spring clips on each side.

Just insert a screwdriver between the bezel and the housing, and gently turn.

If these are QH type lamps with pins, the regular issue with them is oxidation of the pins and socket, due to heat (do they get very hot when on?). The only solution is replacement of the socket and the lamp, or cleaning up with some fine abrasive. A better long term fix, is replacement with LED's which do not get as hot, or draw as much current.

If these are QH type lamps with pins, the regular issue with them is oxidation of the pins and socket, due to heat (do they get very hot when on?). The only solution is replacement of the socket and the lamp, or cleaning up with some fine abrasive. A better long term fix, is replacement with LED's which do not get as hot, or draw as much current.
Interesting comment. I have two lights with exactly that problem where the lamps work when they are removed and replaced but stop working soon after, which i assume is being caused by exactly what you describe.

Is it usually the fittings or the pins on the lamps that corrode?

Bugger. One socket is easy to replace, the other is integrated into an extractor fan housing so looks like i'll have to replace the whole thing :(
Ah, as I said, halogen lamps have been banned by our friends in Brussels. Now may be the time to move everything to LED, or you’ll be doing it all again in a years time.

Ah, as I said, halogen lamps have been banned by our friends in Brussels. Now may be the time to move everything to LED, or you’ll be doing it all again in a years time.
They're only bathroom lights so not on that much. But i'm going to replace all the bulbs with LED anyway.

They're only bathroom lights so not on that much. But i'm going to replace all the bulbs with LED anyway.
Well, your halogens well be 12v, and usually there will be a transformer/power supply for the halogen. They don’t work with LED lamps.
Just to add pain, each transformer will need to be changed to a compatible LED driver.
Noes the time to throw the lot away snd buy nice shiny new mains LED fittings and lamps.

Well, your halogens well be 12v, and usually there will be a transformer/power supply for the halogen. They don’t work with LED lamps.
Just to add pain, each transformer will need to be changed to a compatible LED driver.
Noes the time to throw the lot away snd buy nice shiny new mains LED fittings and lamps.
Looks like the philips LED bulbs will work with the existing 12v driver, so hopefully no need to replace all the fittings.

Looks like the philips LED bulbs will work with the existing 12v driver, so hopefully no need to replace all the fittings.
Hmm. Don’t be so sure. Many 60W “halogen” transformers require a load of more than 20Watts or they don’t produce any voltage.
Check out the Philips compatibility info, or just try out one lamp.
But you are having to go to the trouble of changing all the “MR16” lamp holders. Why not go GU10 and Fitch the need for transformers or drivers and use 230v LED lamps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back