Changing old potterton dual boiler control for Drayton mi time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all new to the forum.

I have read so many post which have helped me do so much in the past so thank you all.

But I have become stuck on this particular project.

Can anybody advise me on best way to change these connections so can blank double back box off and install new Drayton mi time.

I have added pics so you can see what I'm working with.
Thanks for any advice thrown my way.

Kieran.
IMG_20181203_210124.jpg
IMG_20181203_210135.jpg
IMG_20181203_210144.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181203_210321.jpg
    IMG_20181203_210321.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
The EP is a programmer and wiring centre built in to one. Terminals A, B, C, D are just provided as a junction box facility, so have no function other than joining the wires in them together.

So, after removing these wires from the EP, the two red wires in A should remain joined together, the wires in C should remain joined together, and the wires in D should remain joined together. I usually use a standard terminal strip for this and tuck it away in the back box. (make sure the metal back box has an earth connection)

The link between EP L and 5 should be discarded (the Mi Time has this link made internally, so it doesn't need, or have a terminal 5) that leaves the single remaining wire from 5 which will need to go to the new backplate L terminal.

The remaining wires in N, L, 3, 4.

145991-35c0ccec9c09acb79628784bc0c21fef.png

From the diagrams you can see that they have the same function as your new programmer, so the wires in them go to exactly the same terminals N, L, 3, 4.

wp.JPG

Normally I bolt the new backplate onto a double blanking plate after making holes for the cables to pass through. This then neatly fits over the metal back box containing the terminal strip. Don't centre mount it though as it's not central when fitted to the new programmer.

Also, I usually mark wires that have the same colour with a pen or insulation tape to avoid getting them mixed up. If you do get two wires of the same colour mixed up it can be very difficult to fault find later. Alternatively you could use cable ties to keep the wires that are in the same terminal together.

Hope that helps.

Stem,

Brilliant advice all back up and running.
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back