changing plug from 2pin to 3pin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i recently bought a electric toothbrush with charger station, however the charger station has a 2pin plug and a i have no outlet to charge from. would it be acceptable to change plugs to a standard 3 pin plugs that is fused down. if so what size fuse would be rquired? thanks ryan

Sponsored Links
These
Schuko-UK-adaptor-plug.jpg

are the normal method then when you go to anywhere with shaver sockets the adaptor can be removed. Adaptors like
Adaptors.JPG
or
shaver-adaptor-old.jpg

are also on the market but only the far left of three is suitable being fused to 1A. The one centre of three picture has 13A fuse which of course could be changed. The two image picture and one to right of three image picture have no fuses at all and are very dangerous but still can be picked up. Behind the holes there are wedge shaped contacts able to both make good connections with British shaver plugs and EEC plugs the
Schuko-UK2.jpg

one shown here is only designed for the German Schuko plug which has thinner and wider pins than British shaver plugs but holds the plug better and has earth connections as a result better for EEC plugs but no good for British Shaver plugs.
However many tooth brushes have EEC plugs not British Shaver plugs.

I use a Shaver adaptor. It should be fitted with the smallest fuse you can get (this will probably be fitted when you buy it).

edited: too slow :oops:

Sponsored Links
You need to use a shaver adaptor. The pins are spaced differently to those two pin euro plugs in the first picture.

The plug is so you can travel with it and use a hotel/ bathroom shaver socket.
Do not see no reason you cannot cut it off and fit a standard plug though.
It will proberly invalidate the warranty should you need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back