4 electric toothbrush plugs into 1 socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Breifly we have 4 electric toothbrushes leads with 2 pin plugs that we would like to charge off 1 double socket. It's not easy to get to the socket so would like to plug them all in at same time.
rather than use 2 of the box shaped extension sockets and 4, 2 pin adapters is it ok to simply cut the 2pin plugs off and wire 4 leads into 4, 3 pin plugs.

Any suggestions welcome please ,bearing in mind we're talking teenage boys toothbrushes and, I am disabled so moving thing around to change plugs all the time is getting me down.

Sponsored Links
richardrich79";p="3089493 said:
Breifly we have 4 electric toothbrushes leads with 2 pin plugs that we would like to charge off 1 double socket. It's not easy to get to the socket so would like to plug them all in at same time.
rather than use 2 of the box shaped extension sockets and 4, 2 pin adapters is it ok to simply cut the 2pin plugs off and wire 4 leads into 4, 3 pin plugs.

Any suggestions welcome please ,bearing in mind we're talking teenage boys toothbrushes and, I am disabled so moving thing around to change plugs all the time is getting me down.[/quote

I fail to see how you can plug 4 items into one double socket at the same time.

If the 2 pin plugs are no more than plugs it is OK to cut them off and replace them, but they may be a combined plug and switch mode power supply in which cutting them off and replacing them would be disastrous.

I'm not entirely sure why you need to charge all four at the same time? The batteries last a few days, as I recall, so why not charge two one day and the other two the next?

As previously stated, you can probably snip the plug off and wire on a three-pin. I did this years ago when I lived with the PU, I got a toothbrush for Xmas but we don't have a shaver socket in the bathroom.

It'd be best if you could let us know which toothbrush you have, so that we can confirm this.

Sponsored Links
The 4 toothbrushes are all different makes but all have a 'normal' 2 pin plug on the leads. We know that you cannot charge from the shaver socket and i don't really want to use an extension lead due to space considerations.
Years ag I had a Micromark multi-plug which I used on the Hi-Fi 4 mains leads into 1 plug but they don't seem to do them anymore. I found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260735158953?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
but it seems bloody expensive way to run 4 leads into 1 plug.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I guess that you will be plugging these into a shaver point?

Please note that shaver points are rated at about 20watts. I don't know how much four toothbrushes need!

Rather than cut the plugs off, either use plug in adapters, or adapters where the plug goes into what looks like a normal plug once the cover is on - eg http://cpc.farnell.com/powerconnections/scp3-white-13a/schuko-to-uk-plug-white-13a/dp/PL06741

That way, when you change your mind, you can revert to the 2 pin plug. If it's outside the bathroom then it doesn't really matter - just plug four of them into a 4 way strip, or two each into adapters into a double socket, or whatever - the power loading it "not a lot" in relation to what a 13A plug will handle.

And BTW - yes you can charge them using a shaver socket.

As the OP states that the socket is outside the bathroom, another possible solution would be a 4-way European "Schuko" trailing socket. They are obtainable in the UK, (for example, CPC in Preston have them in their catalogue) but if you are going on holiday to sunnier climes then pick one up over there. Just chop off the Euro plug and replace with a UK one, fused at 3A. This assumes that the plugs on the toothbrush chargers are Euro standard, not the old BS546 2-pin! The Euro plug pins are a smaller diameter than BS546 - 4mm (or possibly 4.8mm depending on loading) against 5.1mm.

To digress a little, BS7671, like its predecessors, prohibits the installation of socket outlets in bathrooms (except under very limited circumstances). Our continental cousins have no such restrictions, even water heaters are installed in bathrooms on the continent using a plug and socket connection. With RCD protection, (and appropriate fusing down, perhaps 5A max?) is there any real need to continue the restrictions of BS7671?

To digress a little, BS7671, like its predecessors, prohibits the installation of socket outlets in bathrooms (except under very limited circumstances). Our continental cousins have no such restrictions, even water heaters are installed in bathrooms on the continent using a plug and socket connection. With RCD protection, (and appropriate fusing down, perhaps 5A max?) is there any real need to continue the restrictions of BS7671?
Interesting question. It's presumably a matter of what could get plugged into the socket that is the issue, not the socket itself. The thought of people using hairdriers or whatever whilst lounging in a bath full of water makes me feel that BS7671 has probably got this one right, even when there is RCD protection (which, of course, is far from a panacea)!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies, I'm trying to avoid a trailing socket and the use of plug adapters.
Looking at the Multiway Mains Plug I linked to £29 seems a lot to pay to simply stick 4 leads into a plug, what's to stop me simply wiring a 13a plug with the 4 leads? assuming the all fit.
re shaving sockets our one gets hot if a charger is left plugged in so we don't do it.

what's to stop me simply wiring a 13a plug with the 4 leads? assuming the all fit.
They won't fit. Two might, but generally plugs are designed for one flex only.

The limiting factor will be the copper wires - even at 0.75mm² each, four of them would be 3mm², far too large for any 13A plug.

If £29 is too much, ditch the expensive electric novelty brushes and buy normal ones for a fraction of the price.

If £29 is too much, ditch the expensive electric novelty brushes and buy normal ones for a fraction of the price

Being disabled due to an uninsured drink driver and having to rely on dla it is a large amount of money.
Any dentist will tell you that good electric toothbrushes are worth their weight, my kids, now in their teens have never needed any dental treatment so I believe they are more than a frivolous indulgence.
Anyway thanks I'll simply stick 2 wires into 1 plug x 2, sorted.
(I still think £29 is too much)

The limiting factor will be the copper wires - even at 0.75mm² each, four of them would be 3mm², far too large for any 13A plug.
Probably true (although I'm seen 2.5mm² flex in a 13A plug before now!), but it's probably wishful thinking to believe that a toothbrush charger would have anything like 0.75mm² !

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back