Dual 240v shaver socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

Easy question hopefully - does such a thing as a shaver socket faceplate with 2 220v outlets on it rather than 1 220 and 1 110?

The wife and I both have electric toothbrushes to plug in and it’ll be a bit ugly if we have to have 2 entire faceplates for it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's a pair of chargers you want to plug in, why not simply use them on alternate days with a standard shaver socket - the toothbrush battery should last at least 7 days without a recharge.

Yeah, we can do that, but it’s another small bit of life hassle to remember to shuffle them round and I’m of the philosophy that small hassles are worth doing away with if they’re going to come up regularly for years and years.

Plus, there’s not actually a shaver socket in place at all, so if I’m going to install one it might as well be a more useful one.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, we can do that, but it’s another small bit of life hassle to remember to shuffle them round and I’m of the philosophy that small hassles are worth doing away with if they’re going to come up regularly for years and years.

Plus, there’s not actually a shaver socket in place at all, so if I’m going to install one it might as well be a more useful one.

I've often thought a double shaver socket would be a good idea, but unfortunately no-one as yet seems to make them.

The way I've got around it in the past is to install a shaver socket and also incorporate an illuminated mirror or over mirror light that includes an isolated shaver socket into the bathroom design. Something like this or this.

In fact you don’t need two toothbrushes, just one with changeable heads.

The shaver socket has to have an isolated output from any other device, and I seem to remember a limit of 20 VA (nearly the same as watts) so to have a duel output it would need a special transformer with two isolated outputs, and I have never seen one, also many have a switch behind the plug so it only switches on when some thing is plugged in, and if left plugged in they can over heat, only the type with a tooth brush sign on them are OK for extended use.

If you get rechargeable tooth brushes and shavers it is assumed you can charge them away from the bathroom in a dry area, the whole idea of shaver socket was for a non battery shaver, even a battery powered shaver can over heat those sockets.

If you want to charge toothbrushes in the bathroom you need to move to Europe.

also many have a switch behind the plug so it only switches on when some thing is plugged in, and if left plugged in they can over heat, only the type with a tooth brush sign on them are OK for extended use.

Although this is often stated on these forums I have never seen manufacturers instructions to back this up.
May shaver socket is made by Walsall and has a tested sticker on the back dated 3.4.80. It was used for years with a shaver, but these days it is used for charging a toothbrush, not 24/7, but often overnight and there has never been any sign of overheating.

It’s not completely impossible that your charger will work from the 110 V socket, if both sockets can be used at the same time.

They generally can't as they are different taps on the same transformer. Also, strangely enough toothbrush chargers are the one thing that only work at 230V OR 120V. A european toothbrush does charge up in the states but it takes forever.

Wait for the responses!
Easy Peasy, still room for another one.
Total load 8watts

upload_2020-10-24_12-29-27.png

They generally can't as they are different taps on the same transformer. Also, strangely enough toothbrush chargers are the one thing that only work at 230V OR 120V. A european toothbrush does charge up in the states but it takes forever.

As well as shavers

Double shaver outlets don't exist, as the standard specifies a maximum output and that the output is via an isolating transformer.
Two or more items connected to an isolating transformer negates the safety of having that isolation transformer, so they all have a single outlet.

UK shaver outlets are useless leftovers from a very long time ago when people thought having a normal socket outlet in a bathroom would result in instant death.

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...all-electric-toothbrush-charger-white-plastic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back