Changing raa20 to wireless thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was just wondering if changing the setup in the photo to a setup with a wireless thermostat is a relatively straight forward job?

Currently the wired thermostat is in the entrance way/ hallway area which never gets particularly warm. I'd like to put a wireless thermostat in an upstairs bedroom and snug.

thanks for any advice you can give me.

Simon

Sponsored Links
It is a straightforward job but it is silly putting the receiver where the present thermostat is.

Do you have a wiring box where all the cables meet?
That is - cables from programmer, room thermostat, tank thermostat (if you have a HW cylinder), boiler, and of course the 240V supply.
These should all be controlled by one (fused) switch somewhere.

Currently the wired thermostat is in the entrance way/ hallway area which never gets particularly warm. I'd like to put a wireless thermostat in an upstairs bedroom and snug.

Your thermostat is in the hall because that is usually the coolest part of the house.

If you put it in a bedroom, when that bedroom is warm, the heating will switch off and the rest of your house will be cold.

The thermostat has progressed and today modern thermostats wired at moderate price include the timer which means at the set times rather than off/on it changes the cut in temperature. Although same can be done wireless the price becomes silly.

The electric thermostat also has different duties according to the rest of the system. Most modern systems have thermostatic radiator valves (TRV) to control room temperature and the electric thermostat is there to switch off the system in the summer.

The position was always in the coldest room but today it may be better where it can be warmed by morning sun so keeping house cool on days where likely latter it will be a hot day.

The idea of wireless is to save digging out walls and yes does work but moving the thermostat around can be counter productive.

My bedrooms had a problem where doors if left open would cause bedrooms to be far too hot and if closed bedrooms far too cold. The TRV cured that problem.

Down stairs still controlled by a single electric thermostat.

However in my mothers house the boiler is condensate type and the return water temperature alters the flame hight on the boiler so the TRV is a must.

The wiring is normally relativity simple but first question is do you really want to move it? The only real problem with wiring is in the main the receiver needs 230v with a neutral. Some wired types use batteries and the volt free contacts may be 24v. Also where 230v often no neutral.

The picture really does not tell us much. Could even be already a wireless type.

Sponsored Links
Hi Impudence,

There is a wiring box - is your thinking to hide the transmitter away?

We run a little B&B and so want the bedrooms to be controlled so that they're never cold. The rest of the house can be cold (it's an old building, 1728, and trying to keep the whole place warm just isn't worth it). The bedrooms themselves seem quite good at keeping their temperature it's more the bottom of house that remains cold even when the heating is at full whack - I'd rather rely on the wood burner for keeping us warm downstairs.

Where the thermostat is at present is a few feet from the front door and in a space that runs the entire height of the three stories so not a space that tends to get up to any kind of temperature and any heat will rise up the staircase - to be honest I don't think the electrician put much thought into its placement.

Here's a pic of the wiring for the thermostat ericmark.

There is a wiring box - is your thinking to hide the transmitter away?
It's a receiver, the transmitter is the thermostat, but yes and it doesn't matter where it is.

It will require a supply (L,N,E mains) and the control cable for the boiler (the present thermostat cable).

As normally CH systems have a wiring centre with all the cables in one place, so fitting the receiver here is sensible and easy.
The present thermostat position is redundant.

There are two wires only connected so you can't do a direct replacement. Likely you would need to fit the receiver with the time switch/programmer. But not simple change. So question is have you got the expertise required? There are hundreds of methods to control a house and I would suggest your not going to get the best using just a forum.

Wood burners to work efficiently need to run within a very narrow band. Too hot heat is wasted and too cold particular emissions and tar build up problems. So transferring heat into a heat store likely one way to be able to use rather than waste heat. Very few wood burners run efficiently most want the ambulance more than anything else. But wood prices will raise and maybe looking at efficiency now rather than latter is way forward.

Systems can be installed to use many heating sources all tied together
Torrent%20pipe%20example.bmp
the picture shown likely not exactly what you want but just shows how they can be all connected together.

If you consider something like that to be long term gaol then using TRV will be moving in that direction. Whole idea is you pump hot water around the system if a room needs heat the valve is open so water goes through radiator if not then when all radiators valves are closed the relief valve will open and hot water is returned. The modern boiler has a system where the return water temperature is measured and the anti-cycle software decides how long to wait until the pump is restarted.

Putting thermostats in the rooms is rather an old method. Although there are now some really clever systems connected to the TRV which feed into a mini-computer.

But in your case the TRV seems likely the best way forward.

Also found this diagram for wood stove.
Torrent%20pipe%20example.PNG

Nearly the same with few small changes and this is why I would say not really a DIY job but all examples seem to use TRV to control each room.

The electric thermostat also has different duties according to the rest of the system. Most modern systems have thermostatic radiator valves (TRV) to control room temperature and the electric thermostat is there to switch off the system in the summer.

No it isn't it is there to control the temp of the room it is in and provide interlock
It prevents unnecessary demand on the boiler

The position was always in the coldest room but today it may be better where it can be warmed by morning sun so keeping house cool on days where likely latter it will be a hot day.

And the worse possible place to place a room thermostat is where it can be affected by direct Sunlight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back