changing rear doors on granted extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

im underway with a rear extension, its still coming out of the ground.

as ever, we are re thinking some aspects of the plans, we have put in 2 x sets of bifold doors on the plans 1 x 2.3m 1x4.5m. we are now possibly looking at changing to 1 x 6m set as this will allow for better use inside

can i just speak to building control or will i need to get the architect involved.

thanks

scaff

Sponsored Links
hi all

im underway with a rear extension, its still coming out of the ground.

as ever, we are re thinking some aspects of the plans, we have put in 2 x sets of bifold doors on the plans 1 x 2.3m 1x4.5m. we are now possibly looking at changing to 1 x 6m set as this will allow for better use inside

can i just speak to building control or will i need to get the architect involved.

thanks

scaff

You will need new structural calcs and they will need submitting to BC.

The design change will impact lintel specification, it could also impact lateral stability - depending how close the bifolds are to a corner.

Technically you'll need planning consent as it's deviating from the plans that you had approved...

In reality it probably won't ever get picked up.

You could consider a minor amendment to the original plans if you want to cover yourself and/or have some comfort (if your going to sell soon or have problem neighbours etc) If you're having plans redrawn anyway, the fee is minimal with no neighbour consultation.

thanks for the replies, the bifold doors are bottom hung so theres no need for a big B*&%$£d steel taking all their weight plus the roof etc, i know ill still need a steel just not as big a one as with top hung doors

Sponsored Links
In both extensions I've done (both rear) I changed the windows. First the architech designed it with small French doors + 2 windows, builder suggested would be better with one big set of doors.
Then in the current house, we were going to have a window at the back for the kitchen, but changed to French doors.

I wouldn't bother notifying anybody - so long as the builder knows to put in suitable steel for any changes and the building inspector signs it off, no need to worry about paying architects more money or waiting for planning department to approve changes. If it was at the front of the house it would be different, but it's your private rear!

Experience, knowledge, learning, math?

I see. So if the builder is some old dude in a bib and brace, wrinkled to high heaven and so looks a bit experienced, and has a copy of Chudley under his arm, the building inspector will just take his work for it?

Or unless he's an SE slumming it as a builder.

Maybe, the only builders I have used to build extensions seemed capable of making a doorway without the need to consult with engineers. Maybe they were especially gifted.

Maybe, the only builders I have used to build extensions seemed capable of making a doorway without the need to consult with engineers. Maybe they were especially gifted.
If they can design 6m span beams and work out the wall butressing and foundation loading, then give me their number.

If you just use chancers, then keep it.

I think I may leave it as it is........... (steps slowly backwards into the forum)

Tamuchly

In both extensions I've done (both rear) I changed the windows. First the architech designed it with small French doors + 2 windows, builder suggested would be better with one big set of doors.
Then in the current house, we were going to have a window at the back for the kitchen, but changed to French doors.

I wouldn't bother notifying anybody - so long as the builder knows to put in suitable steel for any changes and the building inspector signs it off, no need to worry about paying architects more money or waiting for planning department to approve changes. If it was at the front of the house it would be different, but it's your private rear!

Hit the nail on the head there, this is how it works in the real world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back