Changing Switch Location for Outside Light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have three outside lights that are switched on/off by a switch by my back door. The first is on the other side of the outside wall to the switch - which is now in the conservatory. The second is a light on the side of the house and the last is the front lamp and these are fed by a cable that runs from the back of the house along the side to the front.

I'd like to install a switch at the front of my house to turn on the front and side light and use the original switch (ideally) to just turn on the rear light in the conservatory although if it was much easier to just use both switches to turn on the lights on that would be ok.

The cable runs externally but I intend to drill a hole in the wall along the side of the house and put the cable into an area under the stairs and take the live feed off that cable. Otherwise getting a live feed would mean taking down the ceiling in my front hallway or cutting into the wall in my front hallway to access the hall light switch.

I'd like to know how to wire the new switch in my front hallway and what wires to feed through the wall to the front lamp.

I appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Yep. Actually I have one already but I want to find one that is lit all the time and then brightens when someone approaches the door. I could put a switch on the rear lamp and put PIR lamps on the front and side. I find the switch at the back of the house annoying!

I'd like to know how to wire the new switch in my front hallway
With the switch in the line conductor.

and what wires to feed through the wall to the front lamp.
Switched line (from the switch), neutral and earth.

I want to find one that is lit all the time and then brightens when someone approaches the door.
Look for PIR courtesy lights.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back