Changing Switched Fuesd Spur to Single Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a switched fused spur which does nothing. It was put in place when the house was built to wire an electric fire place too but as we dont have a fireplace its basically redundant.

Would I be able to remove the switched connection unit and wire in place a single 3 pin socket instead thus making this point usefull. Would there be any reason why I wouldnt be able to do this ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Single or double socket could be fitted - just check that this isn't a spur from a spur though.

If it was installed when the house was built, it seems unlikely to be a spur, and more likely part of the ring main, which would be better.

Yup - people employed by builders to do the electrics on new-builds always do everything properly.

Sponsored Links
Would I be able to remove the switched connection unit and wire in place a single 3 pin socket instead thus making this point usefull. Would there be any reason why I wouldnt be able to do this ?
I would do a little investigation first.
Make sure the circuit is part of a ring final circuit or a radial that has the correct size cable and MCB rating that would be capable of taking the load of a socket outlet and that the fused connection unit is not a spur from a spur.
I would assume that it would be okay, but for safety reasons it would be best checked out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back