Changing underground water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm in the process of replacing the old lead pipe with MDPE. I have laid 32mm MDPE, which splits off at the property to feed two 25mm MDPE.

My query is...how do I connect to the old mains valve at the end of the drive? I have Googled various things and have looked at various Philmac fittings and others, but nothing seems to be exactly right for my requirements.

I actually need to replace the mains valve too, as it is broken and so cannot be turned off, but I cannot seem to find one of the correct size to connect to the existing pipe feeding the property and 32mm MDPE.

The lead pipe that has been removed is 1" external diameter (1/2" internal diameter) and the main feed to the property seems to be the same.

Does anybody know how I go about this and what fittings I need to purchase?

All assistance greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you on a farm?
what length runs of pipe are needed?
it would help i you could post pics of the external isolator, and the internal isolator and any trenchwork you have done?
does your water utility know of your plans?
the 1" lead has been removed so do you have a water supply?

If you're talking about the main "street" stoptap then the water board own it and will/should maintain it and make the connection to it.

Sponsored Links
if you have a lead water pipe, you must ask the water co to test drinking water for lead content BEFORE you start work.

They might have a lead replacement subsidy, or they might offer free connection or some other assistance.

It's a bit late after you've done it.

Give it a try.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies and assistance!

It was my understanding that United Utilities would charge a hefty fee to replace the tap and reconnect the supply?...this is why I was just going to do it myself.

I will look into UU carrying out the work, but, in the meantime, I have found a universal transition valve that I think is suitable..this is the link to it https://www.drainageshop.co.uk/32mm-fittings/GWPW969.html...but I can't seem to confirm that it is i fact for underground use or suitable to connect to lead?...I don't suppose anybody knows?

Many thanks.

Hi noseall

I have a kit to freeze the pipe whilst connecting a new tap.

I am aware that I shouldn't really be doing this, but I don't believe I should have to pay an extortionate fee to UU when I can do it myself. As stated above, I am going to look into UU carrying out the work, but if they want to charge a hefty fee for it, I'll be doing it myself.

To clarify, I am seeking assistance from like-minded people who want to help...I am not interested in being told that I shouldn't be doing it.

Thanks

A house that I recently worked in wanted a larger bore MDPE.

The builder ran the MDPE up to the street stopcock. The plumber had to fit a stopcock and non return valve and then send a photo to the water company before they were willing to connect it to their supply.

I believe it cost about £900 for the Affinity Water to dig a hole, fit a new street stopcock, connect the pipework and then fill the hole.

I'm in the United Utilities area, they do it free. You need to apply to their "Lead Pipe Replacement Scheme", it's quite straightforward and they provide detailed guidance on what you need to do.

I am aware that I shouldn't really be doing this, but I don't believe I should have to pay an extortionate fee to UU when I can do it myself. As stated above, I am going to look into UU carrying out the work, but if they want to charge a hefty fee for it, I'll be doing it myself.

To clarify, I am seeking assistance from like-minded people who want to help...I am not interested in being told that I shouldn't be doing it.

It is not a case of 'You shouldnt do it', it is a case of it is illegal to interfere with the Water Company's assets. People are trying to help by warning you that by doing such work, you will be breaking the law, and if found out, will likely face being hauled in front of a Court. Suddenly a cheap job becomes very expensive...

OP, why dont you do as asked above and post the pics requested - then we will know far more about the job and what exactly you intend to connect to eg are you attempting to connect to an external water meter?
is the connection in your garden - in the pavement - or in the highway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back