Charged £975 for 2 security lights???

No it isn't. When I work people trust me. I don't use that as an excuse to fleece them. That's what caravan dwellers do. Are you saying a bill for £5000 would be acceptable? Well are you? :confused:

...but it wasnt £5000 was it?

So if I charged you nearly a grand for changing a couple of PIR sensors and a bell box on your burglar alarm you'd be happy to pay me nearly a grand? Well would you?

Sponsored Links
No it isn't. When I work people trust me. I don't use that as an excuse to fleece them. That's what caravan dwellers do. Are you saying a bill for £5000 would be acceptable? Well are you? :confused:

...but it wasnt £5000 was it?

So if I charged you nearly a grand for changing a couple of PIR sensors and a bell box on your burglar alarm you'd be happy to pay me nearly a grand? Well would you?

Not you personally no.

I would change them myself.....but if i had to pay somebody then i would get several quotes, and find out exactly what is involved. If it were steep, i would enquire as to the reasons why, before the job was carried out. If i was happy that £975 was justified then yes i would pay it.

But if you trusted me I wouldn't rip you off - that is the difference. There are laws controlling extortionate payments - just like granny getting ripped by travelers. The OP should simply refuse to pay and say "Sue me". I can tell you now that they wouldn't go to court over it.

What's a matter with this stupid slow server?

Sponsored Links
At the risk of dragging this back to the original question, has everyone missed a simple and obvious error

Total £517.00
Plus VAT @20% £162.62
TOTAL £975.62

Admittedly I went to school back when we still had to learn our times tables, and education has improved enormously since then, but even I can see that that there's a discrepancy in that ....

PJ

I think £517 is total laour

Parts: £283
Labour: £517
Transport: £13.10
VAT: £162.62

Is this is an official printed reciept on headed paper work with the company's VAT registration number printed on it ?

If it is then ask them issue a corrected invoice with correct calculation of VAT to be charged. Suggest they also revise the costs of labour and materials before re-issuing an invoice for the work done. If they object you have every right to send it to the VAT office for comment.

If there is no VAT registration number printed on the invoice then they may not be able to list VAT separately.

If there is a VAT infringement you have a strong bargaining point to bring the price down.

If a caravan dweller overcharges for a bit of tarmac on a drive he has the cops after him. It makes no difference what the trade is - they have no right to fleece you. Don't pay, tell them to remove their lights and get three quotes.

Sounds like a bargain to me, Id have thought £1200 would have been a fair price for a quality British tradesman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back