Garden lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I am aware of the legalities with regard to this work.

We have recently renovated the garden. At the end of the garden is a driveway, though the garden is only a total of about 10 metres long.

Prior to starting this work, I had only a 26 watt low energy bulkhead. When I looked inside this, I found that the electrician had looped in at the light fitting. This was fortunate as it gave me the flexibility to do what I wish with the switching.

I decided to relocate the bulkhead to make way for an IP junction box, then supply the bulkhead from this box (I fitted a cord grip inside the bulkhead):

From the IP box I then extended the permenant live through conduit across the back of the house.

I bought a bit of a toy a couple of months ago, in the shape of a remote control RGB LED floodlight, which needed wiring in with a switch:

This points over the decking area. I have to admit the light is a bit harsh and pure, but its a nice feature.

I also branched off to a light inside the coal shed, and 2 13amp sockets (protected by a 3 amp FCU) for a small water feature and deck lights. There is a switch for the 2 sockets and a switch for the light.

On the end of the coalhouse, I fitted a 20 watt PIR LED flood:

Depending how many false alarms I have from this, I might fit a switch somewhere to isolate it (possibly inside the coal house on the back of that junction box).

A bit of conduit I'm proud of:

All of it:

All the conduit has been solvent welded (that gland on the conduit box is superglued in, thanks to a tip here).

The 20w LED flood is VERY bright - I'd say equivalent to 250-300 watts halogen. Very happy with it.

Sponsored Links
All the conduit has been solvent welded ...
I was going to ... and you beat me to it.
The 20w LED flood is VERY bright - I'd say equivalent to 250-300 watts halogen. Very happy with it.
That's interesting. Without trying these things it's very hard to compare - I'm one of those (the majority) who cna thing in terms of what a 300W R7 is like, but can't relate that to an LED lamp with a spec in lumens. I guess we'll eventually all get to grips with how the numbers relate to brightness, but for now ...

I'm not a fan of conduit and pipe on the outside, but often it can't easily be avoided. The only things I'd have done differently here would have been to use white along the white board, and possibly drilled through the back of the JB and run the conduit into the coal shed.
But it's a neat job - sure beats the usual "washing lines" you see :rolleyes:

Yeah, the problem with LEDs is its a different type of light output, even when the manufacturers quote lumens or tungsten equivs, you can't be sure how accurate this is.

And I did think about using white along the fascias, but I already had all the black and the end fittings. Also wasn't sure how well the colour would last.

Sponsored Links
I've got a battery powered 50W LED light at home I made. It out shines a 500W floodlight. I've got plans to make a 100W one now - no idea why though.

Neat job. Reminds me I need to plan the outdoor lights soon.

Fubar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back