Charged £975 for 2 security lights???

They could have given it a go. The hourly rates they charged are fair, we have no way of knowing why it took them so long;

a) they were generally taking the p*** and having a jolly
b) there were underlying problems that made the job take that long.

I was working with a guy the other day and it took him 3 hours to swap a 13a FCU on a dedicated radial for a 16A panel socket. Do you think this is a fair amount of time?

Sponsored Links
Then you must be a troll too.

The OP must stand his ground and refuse to pay. If the contractor wished to go to court over the matter then they will be vilified by the judge and (if they are lucky) will be offered £250. No-one should pay a rip-off merchant just because the customer gave them their trust.

No-one should have a contractor round and get them to do work without a quote, or go ahead with a quote if they are not happy with it.

Iggifer, you're fairly new around here, and unfortunatley by replying to joe you're playing right into his hands. He'll twist anything and everything you say or don't say. It's how he gets his kicks.

He comes to the electrical forum every now and again for no reason other than to try and get a rise out of someone. It hasn't worked with me.

The best thing to do with joe is ignore him like you did with that annoying kid at school and he'll go away.

I was working with a guy the other day and it took him 3 hours to swap a 13a FCU on a dedicated radial for a 16A panel socket.

Goodness me.

The man must be in a union, stop for tea at 10, every day, regardless of workload....

Sponsored Links

The OP must stand his ground and refuse to pay. If the contractor wished to go to court over the matter then they will be vilified by the judge and (if they are lucky) will be offered £250. No-one should pay a rip-off merchant just because the customer gave them their trust.

No-one should have a contractor round and get them to do work without a quote, or go ahead with a quote if they are not happy with it.

No, I agree, but the fellow TRUSTED the contractor not to fleece him - which he clearly has. Don't pay him a penny - and go to court. The courts will back the guy that gave the trust - not the guy that ripped him off.

Iggifer, you're fairly new around here, and unfortunatley by replying to joe you're playing right into his hands. He'll twist anything and everything you say or don't say. It's how he gets his kicks.

He comes to the electrical forum every now and again for no reason other than to try and get a rise out of someone. It hasn't worked with me.

The best thing to do with joe is ignore him like you did with that annoying kid at school and he'll go away.

No he won't. You need the wit and wisdom of joe-90 around here.

Haha. This is my point, without all the information, you can't judge somebody on how long a job takes them.

Circuit was wired in 2.5mm from a 32a rcbo
FCU was a masterseal almost entirely full of silicone
Was mounted on a wooden wall which had nearly rotted away
Cable was jointed in a backbox + blank plate 10cm away to extend the cable
Job was as a favour whilst doing other work, so with no 16a surface socket on his van, he had to decomission another circuit to re-use the socket from that one.

So the job entailed, making good on the wall, removing a circuit, getting the masterseal off, extending the cable properly, and replacing the RCBO with a 20a

No, I agree, but the fellow TRUSTED the contractor not to fleece him - which he clearly has. Don't pay him a penny - and go to court. The courts will back the guy that gave the trust - not the guy that ripped him off.

Trust??? how does that come into it - did he know the guy?? where they best mates? how the hell can you put trust in somebody you dont know? it doesnt work in real life.... if your trusting someone you dont know from Adam then thats being gullable in itself. Thats like taking your car to a garage you have never used before and saying, sorry guys i dont know whats wrong with my engine, but its losing coolant and misfiring occasionally and then leaving it with them only to find when you return 2 days later that its had a new head gasket, coolant system flush, oil system flush and replenish, oil filter and 12 hours labour at £70per hour.

How do you know that it wasnt just a pipe leaking and an old set of plugs?

You cannot trust in that way. Its none sensical

Agreed

No it isn't. When I work people trust me. I don't use that as an excuse to fleece them. That's what caravan dwellers do. Are you saying a bill for £5000 would be acceptable? Well are you? :confused:

Haha. This is my point, without all the information, you can't judge somebody on how long a job takes them.

Circuit was wired in 2.5mm from a 32a rcbo
FCU was a masterseal almost entirely full of silicone
Was mounted on a wooden wall which had nearly rotted away
Cable was jointed in a backbox + blank plate 10cm away to extend the cable
Job was as a favour whilst doing other work, so with no 16a surface socket on his van, he had to decomission another circuit to re-use the socket from that one.

So the job entailed, making good on the wall, removing a circuit, getting the masterseal off, extending the cable properly, and replacing the RCBO with a 20a

Sorry, I didn't realise you were the contractor involved. :oops:

I have to say that I find it rather worrying the the entire electrics forum are in agreement that it is all fine and dandy to rip someone off that trusted them. I guess you must all be tarred with the same brush. :rolleyes:

No it isn't. When I work people trust me. I don't use that as an excuse to fleece them. That's what caravan dwellers do. Are you saying a bill for £5000 would be acceptable? Well are you? :confused:

...but it wasnt £5000 was it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back