Charged £975 for 2 security lights???

a grand to replace two lights?
Without knowing the ins and outs of the job it isn't possible to comment on wether or not that price is acceptable.
For example were they given all required access when they arrived or were they left twiddling their thumbs sat in the van for 3 hours?

It does sound quite steep yes, but at the end of the day the OP should have got a quote before contracting them to do the work so is the OPs fault.

Sponsored Links
Youve been had.

You also let them start work without giving you a price, so I'm doubtful theres any comeback.

(I think ive found the first Electrician that earns the same as a plumber :LOL: :LOL: )

It does sound quite steep yes, but at the end of the day the OP should have got a quote before contracting them to do the work so is the OPs fault.
Quite so. I'm rather amazed that, in this day and age, anyone would allow any work to go ahead without, at the very least, an estimate, if not a formal quote - and that applies whether one is talking about an electrician, a plumber, a car mechanic, a lawyer, a dentist or whoever! One has to have a very high degree of experience of, and trust in, someone before effectively giving them a blank cheque.

Kind Regards, JOHN.

If the whoever arranged for the work to be done did not have a formal quote which outlined what these people would charge then the Supply of Goods & Services Act says that the price has to be reasonable, and if it's not they can take them to court to recover the difference..

Surely this is a B2B transaction (I am assuming the leaseholders have formed a company)

But in any case to put my oar in - I thought reading through the thread that the the electricians had provided the wiring and if that were the case then no one could possible say if it is an unreasonable charge or not. But to REPLACE two lights only - while I agree with the sentiment of RF, I can't defend the rate charged, It is plumbers rates and that's for sure.
I have never done job for this type of arrangement without being asked to quote first, but if I did and I thought the bill was going to be that high (due to some unknown factors) I would warn the customer at the earliest opportunity.
Who is the company?

Sponsored Links
I'm often asked to do work without a quote/estimate mostly by elderly people. The cost when finished is always the same as it would have been had I been asked to quote/estimate.

The price is always fair and reasonable.

No matter how you dress it up, charging these prices is little short of theft. It wasn't so long ago a thread on Plumbers forum was being defended when the customer was asked to pay nearly £2k for seven hours work.

I wondered if you have queried this account with the firm involved. To my untrained eye it looks as though this account has been prepared by someone who is arithmetically challenged or just careless. The cost of materials invoiced should come to £284 and not £283. Perhaps the decimal point is in the wrong place for the apprentice's wage rate as I cannot understand how he/she would be paid/billed at £62.46 an hour if the qualified electrician does not qualify for that billing rate!

Perhaps the cynics are wrong and this was a genuine error.

I took it to mean there was an apprentice and an electrician for 7.5 hours, and an additional electrician for 1 hour.

The point I'm making is that he seems to think that a grand is a fair price - so I'm asking him what isn't a fair price. £20k? £30k? £1.1 k? Answer please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back