Charged £975 for 2 security lights???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone be willing to give their opinion on this? We live in a converted building made into flats where common repairs are split between 6 of us, and this is paid out of a common fund we all contribute to, there is no managing agent or factor, we deal with contractors ourselves.

Recently we had a reputable (or so we thought) firm replace two tatty-looking security lights in the outside of the building, about 2.8m from the ground. One of the fittings looks like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/iq-230w-pir-hi-lo-floodlight-230v/37972

The other one is an LED type like this but black:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterlite-led-30w-energy-efficient-floodlight/21530

Which has a separate PIR sensor like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/180-dual-level-standalone-pir/67094

The sensor and LED light are connected by black flex (about 20cm apart).

We have been invoiced for £975, details below, another electrician has said it should have been more like £250 (about half and half parts and labour). I haven't spoken to all the neighbours but we think they were only there (2 people) for an hour, two at most, does that seem right for this job? Both lights are easily accessible with an extension ladder from the ground, no obstructions etc and it's on our private ground with off street parking.

Text from invoice:
Materials
3 core flex £10.60
20mm flex glands £6.39
PIR dectectors £52.33
LED Flood lights £196,56
Junction Box £15.12
Sundries £3.00

Total £283.00

Transport £13.10

Labour Electrician -1hr @£48.55

Electrician/Apprentice-7 1/2hrs@£62.46 - £468.45

Total £517.00

Plus VAT @20% £162.62

TOTAL £975.62

If we have been overcharged (which we think we have) is there anything we can do at this stage to reduce the bill? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Seven and a half hours? £6.39 for glands? I don't see there being a dozen of them for two lights!

You're being had.

You've been had mate!

8½ hours for that job, at those stupid rates. What are they, barristers or something.!

Did you/somebody get an estimate/quotation before the work was carried out.??

Or did they just say

"Open your wallet and say: HELP YOURSELF??"

Don't know where you are or what the going rate is in your area, but it does sound a little on the high side. As otheres have said, unless you agreed on a quote before the work commenced, then there's probably not a lot you can do apart from pay the bill and learn the lesson.

Sponsored Links
does the customer have a leg to stand on if the invoice contains items that they have beenbilled for that havent been used i.e stuffing glands...if they cant get that accurate than whats to say the hours charged on the job are...

Does anyone have any record of when they came and went or are there any security cameras that you could use to question their labour time ?

I suppose it's possible it could take that long to do.

Is the wiring clipped to the outside wall, or is it concealed in some way?

Send pictures of the job, to give us more of an idea.

Don't forget that hours on site does NOT equal hours taken to do the job.

You are being ripped off. Make them a reasonable offer. If they don't accept, who will they take to court?

Our firm charge that for commercial/retail jobs and clients happily pay it.
It includes travelling,parking if need be, congestion charge if need be , increased liability cover which most stipulate and other things needed like waste permits and also some comeback if things go wrong.

Is that single one hour an initial site survey visit

If we go to site and leave for materials the time can escalate easily in london, and some wholesalers wont cut cable to length or split gland packs and theres always a mark up on materials, take also into account the workers may have rounded up there hours unknown to the company.
A recent straight forward fitting change escalated to 5 hours recently, but my vans tracked so noone at my office could query the time it took to get the fitting.
Ask for a breakdown of labour and there on/ off site times

It's the electricians that need to learn a lesson here not the customer. Refuse to pay it and make them a reasonable offer (£250).

It's the electricians that need to learn a lesson here not the customer. Refuse to pay it and make them a reasonable offer (£250).

So you think the electrician should work for nothing just because the invoice is more than the customer was expecting?

£250 wouldnt just mean them working for nothing, it would mean working at a loss (dependant on their parts markups)

I think nearly everyone will agree the main issue here is the 7.5 hours it took to install

And presumably he isn't paying his apprentice and apprentice's wage, because that would be less than £20 for 7.5 hours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back