charged for boiler services not carried out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not so much a reply, as a question, as I don't know where else to post this ... A guy came round to service my boiler(Greater London): couldn't get the front off, so left: charge: £70. My partner took it off & I got another company in to look at it, with the cover taken off to facilitate their visit. Their charge for a service: £70. They did an analysis of the boiler and (after repeated requests, have let me have a copy). Verbal report: fan is weak; corrosion on heat exchanger, readings high : flue temp 170. Efficiency 88, pointed to 'soot' inside the boiler. Said that, given the condition of the boiler, they couldn't carry out a normal service, but suggested sending someone to quote for a new boiler (who came the following day). I am now looking to get another guy in to assess the boiler - recommended by a neighbour with a boiler of same age (15 years), who she says has maintained & repaired her boiler in spite of its age. He will charge £75 and says he will do repairs if at all possible (obviously for a charge). Am I being unreasonable in thinking that £70-75 for a service is fair, but if no service is carried out, then there could be a reduction ??? Finally, how should I clarify the situation for the third person (who will also quote for a new boiler), so that I specify that I don't simply want a duplication of the information/analysis I've already been given (which I have transmitted to him). I am happy to pay what is fair, but is it reasonable to ask him to look at the machine & tell me if he can replace parts etc. (obviously at a charge), but not a full £70 charge if he can do nothing. He has already said he will deduct the £75 from the cost of a new boiler if that is the way we go.... Surely if a service is £70 and a guy comes and cannot complete a full service is it fair to charge the full amount ? Genuine question, as I am perplexed and fearful of throwing good money after bad... Tx for your efforts at reading thru this !!

Sponsored Links
Well if the first guy couldn't even get the boiler cover off, then you didn't really want him doing any work on the boiler, and he certainly shouldn't have charged you for his incompetence. Ask for a refund, or pass it on to Trading standards.

The second guys were just looking to install a new boiler rather than do a service. Rust on a 15 year old boiler is to be expected. An efficiency of 88% would be right for a boiler of that age, and is immaterial, and if the fan is weak (difficult to determine really) then they should have suggested replacing it. But as they didn't service the boiler, then I personally don't think they should have charged for the cost of a service that wasn't carried out. Ring and discuss it with them, and ask for a refund.

As t the third engineer, discuss your concerns as to what he'd charge if he can't service the boiler with him before he comes, because he can either service the boiler, and charge £75, (plus any parts needed) or he should be able to look at it and recommend a new boiler, in which case, it's not a service, just a visit to give you a quote.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Doggit, you've given me a structure for dealing with the engineers who came/will come to look at the boiler. I don't deal with these situations every day so it's hard to anticipate what they are likely to say/do & also hard to know how to respond when they're here, as they are the experts .... I only get to start thinking the whole thing through after they have been & gone ! Enormously grateful for your guidelines !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back