Chasing electric and A/V

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Below is a picture of a wall that I would like to put a TV on. There is a socket on the right, and that is where I'm planning on putting any A/V equipment. I will be getting an electrician to put a double socket on the wall behind where the TV will go.

The second step is getting A/V cables to the TV, specifically around the corner, is this possible? Or should I just pack in as many cables as possible? (2/3 HDMI, 2 Cat6, 1 coax) and just live with the fact that I'm not going to be able to feed any new cables through any buried trunking?

Sponsored Links
Considered a wireless TV?

Are you going to be using the chimney as a flue?

Minimum bend radii are going to make getting cables around an external corner difficult.

Considered a wireless TV?

Are you going to be using the chimney as a flue?

Minimum bend radii are going to make getting cables around an external corner difficult.
The TV is a hand-me-down, the chimney is bricked up and I don't plan on using it as a flue. Think I will just put as many cables as the conduit will take and live with it! Maybe put a brush plate on the corner.

Are there any recommendations for the distance between power cables and A/V cables? Will any type of conduit do?

the chimney is bricked up and I don't plan on using it as a flue.
Looking at the current state of the walls, now would be an ideal time to knock holes in it and install some trunking that avoids having to bend cables round that corner.

Are there any recommendations for the distance between power cables and A/V cables?
The signals are digital, or at completely different frequencies to 50Hz, so there shouldn't be a problem.

The Wiring Regulations prohibit them from being in the same conduit or trunking.

Sponsored Links
your cable list seems to cover most in/outs, maybe an optical cable.
does the tv have a detachable mains lead, if yes, I would put a FCU with cable outlet ie

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK0330.html

behind the tv and wire the mains lead to it as a double socket with a plug in it will protrude from the wall a fair bit

There seems to be a radiator under the TV. If so the TV won't last long and all your work will be wasted.
Suggest your first job is to move the radiator.

i think the radiator is just propped up against the wall not fixed there
That's correct, took it off for the plasterer and didn't realise how heavy it would be.

Will hopefully have someone round next week to see what they think about chasing the cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back