chasing in cables another question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello every one,

I was recently asking about chasing in a coax cable and a 2.5mm T&E.

I have nearly finished this job. In the end, we made 2 seperate chases over 50mm appart to take the cable from the floor into the loft. I have used that oval plastic conduit and this is now setting in some bonding plaster.

Something is bugging me now though..

The conduit is almost flush with the wall. Yes i will be able to skim over it with a coat of plaster (and then i am going to paper) so I am not worried cosmetically, but i worry that i did not consider any regulations regarding min depth for the cable.

This job does not have any socket boxes near the chases, is there anything i can do to prevent future people having accidents when putting up pictures or shelves (appart from not connect it!!).

Do i need to make any changes?

ps, the brand new grinder i bought from B&Q caught fire internally just as we were finishing cutting - gave us a fright!!

Sponsored Links
This job does not have any socket boxes near the chases, is there anything i can do to prevent future people having accidents when putting up pictures or shelves (appart from not connect it!!).

Do i need to make any changes?

Is the chase with the 2.5mm t&e in a safe wiring zone?

I think so, it is going from floor to ceiling in a bedroom about 100mm from a corner (of a chimney breast). I could even put the T&E in the other chase which wouyld be 170mm from the corner. no pipes or features on this wall.

been reading on internet, fund something about the 50mm deep rule (I have no RCD here).

The 50mm depth and RCD regulations apply to installations designed to to the 17th edition of the wiring regulations.
Yours is designed and constructed to the 16th and sounds compliant if it's vertical and within 150mm of a corner which it is.

Sponsored Links
Hi Gary really apreciate your help, do you mean it has to within 150mm of the corner? (if so, that was a complete stroke of luck).

How come its ok to design to the 16th if theres a 17 edition out, or is the date of my job a grey area.

I am glad that it is legal, but i still feel a bit unhappy about it. I am contemplating putting a socket in the wall*, but it will be a hassel. so far I have only plastered in the conduit, so no wiring yet, but i would have to rip the conduit out and cut in a socket box. maybe this would be best to be safer. I am considering getting a new consumer unit with RCD one day (i probably ought to because of my DIY electricals).

*I am having a wardrobe in front of this wiring, so it has to be a socket in the wall.

There is currently a cross over period with the regs.

You can read more about permitted safe zones here

Thanks RF. I read the link. I suppose its a case of, yes I conform, but it could be better. I still feel that I ought to put a socket in the chase. I probably wont and it will always bug me.

I just had a thought anyway;

from an idiots point of view, a socket would not help. Average person is not going to assume that the cable runs up the wall to the loft from a socket are they!

but this chase is really in an ideal position for someone to try and fix a shelf bracket or something as the wall is an alcove from the chimney breast.

Thanks guys, i really do appreciate the help.

If it gives you peace of mind, you could pass the wiring through a single flush box, and fit a blank plate on the front.

This will give indication of the cable run, and the blank can quickly be unscrewed to check which direction the cables go in.

Or just leave it as it is. It complies with the regs ;)

but this chase is really in an ideal position for someone to try and fix a shelf bracket or something as the wall is an alcove from the chimney breast.

You've just hit the nail on the head (or in the cable!).
How is a DIY'er or ordinary person supposed to know about safe zones?

Sory mate, no pic as you would not be able to tell that the grinder had caught fire. We were lucky that no one got hurt! My dad was using it and it had been getting hotter and hotter. All of a sudden there was a flame coming out from the wheel. The motor slowed down. It must have got too hot to hold. My dad just put it down quickly (still running). there was about 3 seconds when we were both looking at each other, then dad turned the socket off. The place stank of burning electrics. Luckily, we had just finished with it. I will take it back to B&Q and get a refund. I dont want another of those. It was a B&Q £20 special.

I have put a picture of what we achieved yesterday though... we took fireplace out and did chase fr cables.

room.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back