Cheap core drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hilti DD140 because my Makita clutches couldn't take the hammer of the regular 4 in coring twice a week. The Hilti is of course up for the job.

But it isn't half heavy and sometimes if it's just coring for a kitchen waste it's a lot to lug around

Anyhow was in plumb centre today and spotted the one hundred and odd pound core drill, so I had to order me one. Just thought it would be handy to keep on the van all the time for those impromptu coring moments, and to do the light duty jobs. Just seemed a great price that's all, so I thought I'd mention it.

Sponsored Links
I brought the set from PC ages ago for 115 notes

bloody luvverly it is too

:)

LMAO

never mate I cast no shadow and NEVER drop half a crown

i was just agreeing with you

Sponsored Links
What make is it?

Noticed in B&Q today, 650W SDS "3kg" with rotation and hammer on/off.
£19.98

For things like kitchen wastes I use a 24V sds. Usually does a 9inch x 50mm on a charge easily.

I use a 12 year old B&D 'Proline' 2kg sds for core drilling up to 150mm and have not had any problems with it.

I've never seen the necessity for a dedicated core drill, unless you are drilling all day every day.

ChrisR said:
For things like kitchen wastes I use a 24V sds. Usually does a 9inch x 50mm on a charge easily.

I've had a bosch 24v sds collecting dust for a year now, both batteries are probably shot. I found it too heavy. I just use the 18v lighter stuff with bettery and just go to things with a lead for bigger jobs. I have a 3kva Genny both 110 and 230 for when no power is available.

Noticed in B&Q today, 650W SDS "3kg" with rotation and hammer on/off.
£19.98

I used to use those cheap drills on the theory that if they got pinched I wouldn't cry about it. I treat them as disposable items for some time using a different drill for whatever feature hadn't stopped working.
In the end one would spin but not hammer and spin or chisel
one would hammer and spin only and the other would chisel only

One day I was coring out a hole for a WC I got right down next to the drill to get a bit of force behind it. It snagged and the motor spun round whacking me in the temple and knocking me out!
Another time when it snagged and the handle snapped almost ripping my shoulder out of its socket as it spun around the core, was the day that I finally learnt one of my hardest lessons and bought a Makita core drill which has served me well ever since and never harmed me once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back