cheap flooring ideas for a new steel shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have ordered a new steel shed from yardmaster and i need a base 3.03m x 3.99m (about 10 x 12) its for a new build i moving to and to save time i was thinking of making a frame from joists, buying some exterior plywood to line the floor and assemble the steel shed on top of this floor which i was just going to level on a bed of chip stones.

I think slabbing would be a more sensible idea but i hate doing that and it would take me ages to lay this, i reckon i could do the timber method quicker, would this be suitable as the base will stick out further than the base rail so the wood needs to be able to put up with the weather.

whats either the cheapest or easist way to do this, is ready mixed cement expensive or an option ?

Sponsored Links
unfortunatly metal/plastic sheds are well known for condensation during the winter months :cry: :cry:

so dont store anything that needs to be kept dry in there unless your shed is fully insulated or perhaps lots of ventilation!!!!!

the construction of the shed will probably mean you cant use wood and have a dry edge
in orher words the edge of the wood needs to be protected from rain if the shed sits on the floor it cant protect it unless it has an overhang of atound 25mm so any rain runs down the wall and falls off the overhang rather than soking the wood

yeah i read they are bad for condensation but at £375 for a yardmaster 10 x 12 shed its a good buy, a wood shed would be a fortune so ill just have to live with the condensation.

the manufacturer recommend concrete or slabs, got a quote for wet cement and its £300 delivered lol, slabbing i hate, so might be stuck with mixing cement myself. :cry:

as long as you are aware that we are talking a lot of condensation enough to rain on the contents and possibly equivilent to around half a pint thrown around the inside onto the contents and soaking the floor

heres my 10x12 shed with no condensation ;)
electrics around £200 shed around £700 base around £150 ;)

Sponsored Links
oh well its done now lol, at the end of the day i needed it as cheap as possible, i just hope i dont regret it, i think im going the concrete base way as a full size mixer is £50 a week to hire. I just gotta work out how much materials i need:cool:

thats a good shed you got for 750 al and it looks like you got a lot of stuff to fill it with ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back