Cheap GSM dialler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title has anyone found a reliable/cheap GSM dialer?

As per my other thread I’m intending to swtich out a monitored ADT alarm with a Premier Elite. I’ll be getting COMIP, so will have acces via App. But need a way to alert other key holders or if I don’t have internet on my phone.

It looks like the com2400 can be unreliable for SMS. COMGSM is expensive :/ I was considering the voice dialer, but it’s occurred to me perhaps a cheap GSM dialer would be better option. As that would also give me another alert path if phone line is tampered with.

So anyone got any experience with reliable but cheaper alternatives to COMGSM?

Sponsored Links
Bloody auto correct :/

Can a mod please change title from diaper to dialer :D

Thank you Mods (y) i'll leave this post here as evidence you're a decent bunch :D

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I’ve just fitted two of these, they work really well, work on a PAYG sim and can text up to 5 mobile numbers.
Pretty basic compared to some of the coms units available, but relatively cheap and “does what is says on the tin”
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/232463453900

Thanks, this looks like exactly what I need. Could do with a few more alert numbers, but can live with 5 at this price. I presume you just fit in alarm panel case and run antenna out? All I need it to do is send SMS on alarm, I will have the App for more detailed information, so really no point in COMGSM at 5 times the price.

HAve dropped them a message to confirm which bands it supports. Just want to make sure its not 2G only as that can be patchy around here.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Any idea for the cheapest supplier of the Premier elite itself. Plan is to use the ADT Bell Box, internal sounder, PIR's, Door Sensors and window Sensor. Which would mean I need:

Alarm Panel (8 way should suffice)
Keypad (don't need contactless)
COMIP (the new wired one)

I'll add the GSM module Sandy recommended and hopefully I should be good to go.

Got response back from eBay seller of the dealer. It is 2G only, which is why it doesn't work with 3.

Has anyone come across a 4G capable one? Worst case I'll double check 2G reception in location and grab this one. But would spend a little more for 4G one and not have to revisit it down the line due to lack of 2G.

IMG_1680.PNG
Read ..you can put a 3/4G SIM card in but they use the 2G network

Yes thats definitely 2G. You can see from the image the baseband is the G510 which is a 2G only part.

I suspect 4G will be hard to find and if so it won't be cheap. And its a toss up wether 2G or 3G will bite the bullet first in the UK. Therefore, may aswell grab the cheap one from eBay and replace in a few years, by when hopefully 4G ones have become ubiquitous.

2G is pretty much the standard although you will find if you look hard enough3 and 4g but price may be the issue.

if your buying a comip, the smart com is cheaper and will do the same, also will allow the use of the new texecom connect app as long as pnel is version 4 firmware.

2G is pretty much the standard although you will find if you look hard enough3 and 4g but price may be the issue.

if your buying a comip, the smart com is cheaper and will do the same, also will allow the use of the new texecom connect app as long as pnel is version 4 firmware.

I’m going to buy the comip for App control. But not all the key holders will have this. Also push notifications aren’t as reliable as SMS.

The kit I was looking at appears to come with com2400 but reading the threads the landline based services can be hit and miss. So I was thinking a cheap GSM module would cover the key holders/push notification not reaching me. Plus act as backup in case the landline is tampered with.

Think I’ll just grab the cheap 2g module linked too and comeback to if/when 2g only becomes an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back