Cheap inhibitor causing air?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the boiler replaced with a combi 8 months ago. Since then on three occasions I have had to bleed three different upstairs radiators, the latest one being yesterday.

The installer used an inhibitor called Tradesales and not the normal recommended brands. The instructions say suitable for up to 10 radiators but I have 12 so thinking that it might be under strength I placed a nail on the magnet of the magnaclean and left it for 3 weeks. The nail came out rust free so I am wondering whether this is just trapped air that has been in the system since the install.

Should I play safe and add a brand name?
Can I safely mix brands?
Can I overdose the rads on inhibitor?

Sponsored Links
Brand names down to you but the current one is apparently doing the job
Yes you can mix brands as very few of us ever know what is in a system before
Overdose I would say no you cannot.

Have you tried adding an automatic air vent on the highest point of your pipework?

Since the boiler was replaced 8 months ago with fresh oxygenated water it has to release somewhere.

Pete

Sponsored Links
How would I tell that?

My old 19 year old system never needed bleeding and apart from bleeding 3 rads over this winter I can't fault the system.

As a side note when I bled the latest rad I did get a whiff of a strange pong.

RADIATOR SNIFFER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've prob got a tiny weep somewhere ont system as the old one was low pressure no doubt ... Add internal leak sealer just in case

No !! leak sealer is like porridge in your heat exchanger etc I would certainly not recommend using it esp on a newish boiler.

Have a look at all the rad tails for any sign of leaks.

Pete

The pressure stays steady apart from when I bleed a rad so I don't think I have a leak.

Well a year has past since my last post. From last January to when the heating was switched off in May 2009 I carried on bleeding 3 radiators. Today I noticed one of the radiators was almost cold and had to give it a major bleed, which was the first time I have done it this season.

Apart from the bleeding everything seems to be OK. No issues with pressure, no topping up, no leaks that I can see. So what is causing air to get into my system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back