Cheap mixing drill mainly for tile adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about 1/4 the way through tiling the kitchen dinner floor (30m2) and the old corded drill I'm using with a paddle mixer on has nearly burnt out.
I need to use something to mix the rest of the tile adhesive with(4 or 5x20kg bags) and then the grout and then use very occasionally for the odd bag of plaster/browning etc....
Would putting an sds adapter on a corded bosch 650w sds drill be OK or is the gear ratio too wrong and put the drill under too much strain?
Would I be better off taking a chance and buying a cheap mixer drill (sub £50) like silverline and using that?
I'm not a tradesman so will only be using for a bit of DIY when required.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
I'm not a trade tiler/plasterer (in fact I'm a chippy), but I tend to use my SDS on those rare occasions that I need to mix-up adhesive/plaster (but not heavy mortar). I don't think it would do it a lot of good if I were doing it all the time, but I've yet to kill and SDS this way from the odd time I do do this (probably a diozen tubs a year). If you already have an SDS then it's one less tool to buy, if you don't it's an excellent tool for your toolkit. Just keep an eye on the temperature of the motor and if it starts getting hot, as opposed to warm, then switch off and leave to cool down

It's fine.
If you were knocking up all day for a team of spreads then probably not, but it only takes a few minutes to knock up a bucket of plaster/brown, and the drill will have plenty of time to cool down between mixes. You shouldn't over mix btw, it will go off too quick if you do.

I'm referring to 'normal' builders buckets, not massive tubs.

Ok so not that cheap although to be fair this is just the first one of this model I found when searching so you could probably find it cheaper and definately in 110v if you need it. I've used this model in 110v and it has high torque and slow speed which makes it good for drilling large holes in timber and good also for mixing,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitachi-D...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item2c68e36f9c

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
you need a low gear high torque drill otherwise you will burn it out

I'm not a trade tiler/plasterer (in fact I'm a chippy), but I tend to use my SDS on those rare occasions that I need to mix-up adhesive/plaster (but not heavy mortar). I don't think it would do it a lot of good if I were doing it all the time, but I've yet to kill and SDS this way from the odd time I do do this (probably a diozen tubs a year). If you already have an SDS then it's one less tool to buy, if you don't it's an excellent tool for your toolkit. Just keep an eye on the temperature of the motor and if it starts getting hot, as opposed to warm, then switch off and leave to cool down

same as m8ty,i use mine for knocking up buckets of hardwall.

THATS BOSCH BLUE BY THE WAY, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

thanks for the replies, started using the sds yesterday and it seems to be coping fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back