Cheapest chain store selling electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a deal with my electrician to do the work on a fixed fee and I supply all the materials. Now I am wondering what is the cheapest mainstream electrical store?
I am asking about chain stores because that should cover a larger audience but if anyone knows a better local choice near Woking that would be even better.
Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
well, I will probably need lots of cable for a new ring, quite a few sockets, a new consumer unit, fuses, junction boxes, downlights, a heat alarm ... and who knows what else, so I think it will be a big shop so if one store is cheaper I could save a few bobs.
I've heard that Screwfix would be a lot cheaper than Wickes. Is that true? How does it compare to B&Q or homebase? Where would an electrician buy his supplies from?

Sponsored Links
I've done a deal with my electrician to do the work on a fixed fee and I supply all the materials. Now I am wondering what is the cheapest mainstream electrical store?
I am asking about chain stores because that should cover a larger audience but if anyone knows a better local choice near Woking that would be even better.
Why don't you ask your electrician, as they should know?
You would have been better off letting the electrician supply the materials too.
By the time you have sourced the correct goods, actually purchased them and paid through the nose prices, only to be told by the electrician that the stuff is not suitable or naff, you will have wished you had.
Anyway your best shout would be Screwfix, they may not have everything but a damn sight better than the big sheds!

Thank you for the advice. We'll see about the outcome. For now, I am happy with the deal I've struck. I will let you know how much I saved tomorrow.

Anyway your best shout would be Screwfix, they may not have everything but a damn sight better than the big sheds!

A couple of weekends ago B&Q had another 20% off offer on. It worked out quite well for my boss who purchased 1000 MK twin sockets at just under £2 each (+VAT). He got quite a few Wylex loaded twin RCD consumer units too along with plenty of other MK items.
20% off weekends coupled with a trade card can be quite rewarding and far cheaper than any wholesaler.

That could well be true, if your in a position to wait for the big deal weekends. But if you are not and the work is ready to start your stuffed.
And the same will go for many other stores, if you are willing to wait for clearance sales.
But the OP could look at both QVS and TLC websites and compare the prices against the wholesalers and sheds. If having a complete re-wire, there will be a saving on delivery charges and they do deliver quite quickly.

You also realise that any fault that could be blamed on any component you supplied later on would not be covered by any warranty from the electrician.

Let him get all the parts, that way he will get the stuff he prefers to work with, and will be responsible for it. Tell him if you want chrome finishes etc, but let him get them at trade rates

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/
http://www.alertelectrical.com

Discount Electrical I discovered last year, and were surprisingly cheaper than Newey & Eyre for SWA (the nationwide company I work for gets a large discount from Neweys). Certainly cheaper than anywhere else online.

Alert are good for certain accessories and T&E in bulk.

It pays to shop around. Start yourself a spreadsheet/table though or you'll just get lost in it all. Don't forget to factor in postage.

I've done a deal with my electrician to do the work on a fixed fee and I supply all the materials.
If that's true then prepare yourself for a world of pain and problems, for it is very likely that he is incompetent.

I usually use Wilkinson for odd bits, e.g I need a bit of wire. I use B&Q for sockets (MK) may not be cheapest but its down the road and if I am only buying one £1 extra is not a big deal.

However for any projects I always use Alert Electrical, very very good customer service.

There is a shop I use called Grafix (I think) near the Trafford Centre if I need Ethernet modules etc.

Also avoid cheap sockets and switches, branded stuff is only a little more expensive but lasts longer.

I have in the past done two jobs where the customer has insisted they supply the materials, and they always get exactly what you don't want.

Which holds the work up.

Why are you insisting on getting the stuff when you don't know where to get it and how much it's going to cost?

Screwfix seems ok, you may also be able to join the B & Queue Trade Point section if you can present virtually any old letter head and a business card. They take anyone.

Be prepared for your electrician refusing to fit some of your items if they are not to his liking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back