check if your car is insured

Guy in work mentioned this the other day. Apparently you will have to have a vehicle insured from April in case you decide to use it un-taxed, (in which case the insurance will be invalidated anyway), or in case it gets stolen and is involved in an accident.
Just another way of screwing the motorist by successive governments. I can't believe they can't employ a jobsworth or two to correlate the cars with no tax/insuranceMOT against those that have then go all out to fine the owners and seize the vehicles of those found guilty.

Sponsored Links
Here's an item about the way the law is changing this April.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jan/12/motorists-register-uninsured-car

Apparently the only way is to SORN your vehicle. Frightening that they can fine you £100 automatically, unless you respond to the first letter they send you concerning insurance.
Big Brother ,, is watching you. ;) ;) ;) ;)

It is estimated that around 1.4m UK motorists drive uninsured. These drivers cost the UK about £500m a year – adding an extra £30 a car to each insurance policy

So can I look forward to a reduction in my insurance in the near future?

If it's in your front garden, they could well come and clamp it under the latest rules.
What rules are these?

joinerjohn said:
Same rules that allow them to clamp a car in a pub car park.

Not quite an answer.

What are these rules?
I have one SORN'd vehicle, which is uninsured, and one pre-SORN historic vehicle which has been sitting in a garage for more than 20 years, which is also uninsured.

Sponsored Links
If it's in your front garden, they could well come and clamp it under the latest rules.
What rules are these?

joinerjohn said:

Not quite an answer.

What are these rules?
I have one SORN'd vehicle, which is uninsured, and one pre-SORN historic vehicle which has been sitting in a garage for more than 20 years, which is also uninsured.

Quite simply, after April, insure it or SORN it.
SORN'ing costs nowt.

There is an exception to SORN'ing, if it's on a garage forecourt. e.g. for sale by a dealer. There may be more exceptions.

I believe, in France it has been necessary, for many years, to insure vehicles not being used, for instance, in case they are stolen or roll onto the road.

Big Brother may be watching - but they weren`t watching closely about 10 years ago when some t*sser without insurance and drunk took me off my bike and left me with a permanent limp :rolleyes: Yeah I got compo £ from the MIB but that took 4 years :evil: . Of course the UK will do it in a half arsed complicated way - why not just have a new "plate" each year - bolted on the car that indicates MOT/Insurance Road fund etc . Like USA. - Nah too friggin easy for us to do :rolleyes:

Road tax should be abolished and the lost revenue added onto income tax.

I'm not being funny but check if your car is insured online, why?
I have cert that I can look at, that tells me I am!

We too have just received a new certificate of Insurance but the car is not on the register, so I will have to sort it out with the insurer. If I hadn't checked we could have been pulled by PC Plod

What rules are these?

joinerjohn said:
...Not quite an answer.

What are these rules? .....

Quite simply, after April, insure it or SORN it.
SORN'ing costs nowt.
But I already said SORN it. So are you saying a SORNd car can be clamped in your front garden? Or are you saying it is is an offence to have a car which is neither taxed nor SORNd (nothing new there).

But I already said SORN it. So are you saying a SORNd car can be clamped in your front garden? Or are you saying it is is an offence to have a car which is neither taxed nor SORNd (nothing new there).

Insured or SORN'd will be the new options I believe.
The current requirements are taxed or SORN'd aren't they? I assume these will remain. But they don't clamp your car for that, they send you a summons or an offer to pay the tax, I believe. Maybe, both.

It probably depends on when it last appeared on their radar. If it hasn't appeared for a long while and it's out of sight, they will probably assume it's been scrapped some time ago.
You may have problems then when you come to re-register it on their radar. They'll probably have loads of silly questions. Where's it been? What's it been doing? Why wasn't it SORN'd? etc.

Now I'm confused.

I have a car in my own private garage. It hasn't been used for 4 years. It has been SORNed all this time.

Am I going to have to insure this car as well?

Is there a link to this story?

No of course not. The story is mostly confused flannel.

For all I know. the car that was allegedly clamped in a car park was not SORNd, and didn't get there by magic, it had been driven there on a road.

Now I'm confused.

I have a car in my own private garage. It hasn't been used for 4 years. It has been SORNed all this time.

Look at the second post for the link.

All car owners will have to either insure their vehicles or have a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN) under legislation to be introduced in the spring. From then it will be an offence to keep an uninsured vehicle, rather than merely to drive when uninsured.

Insured or SORN'd

Currently Taxed or SORN'd

Now I'm confused.

I have 3 sorned and one legal, but am led to believe, sorned or not, you need insurance, ?. confused now!!

Sponsored Links
Back