check if your car is insured

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Check your vehicle if its insured at Motor Insurace Database online: askMID
Check your vehicle is insured - http://www.askmid.com/ Check the Motor Insurance Database now Opens new window
What will happen if your vehicle doesn’t have insurance

If a vehicle does not have insurance, the registered keeper of it could:
• receive a fixed penalty of £100
• have their vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded, or destroyed
• face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum penalty of £1000
An Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL) will be sent to inform the registered keeper of a vehicle that appears to have no insurance. It advises the keeper what actions to take to avoid receiving a Fixed Penalty Notice.

Enjoy!
Check car insurance online :)

Sponsored Links
I'm not being funny but check if your car is insured online, why?
I have cert that I can look at, that tells me I am!

Bit pointless that. Generally speaking, folks tend to know if they are driving with or without insurance.

Great for checking the neighbours though :evil:

I had the pleasure of being stopped by the Police on a roadside check and getting done for having no insurance. I had my documents in the vehicle but it turned out the Insurance Company (Direct Line) had cancelled my policy as they say they never recieved a copy of my no claims. They had apparently sent me a letter by normal post (no requirement to send recorded) which I never recieved warning me they were canceling my policy. It is an Absolute Offence in law to have no insurance. This means if the Insurance company cancel your policy, even if you've paid your fees you are guilty in the eyes of the law. There is no defence allowed. It doesn't matter what you or your lawyer say you can still be charged.

I was up in Court twice at the cost of 750 plus lost earnings and fortunately someone with sense decided it was not in the public interest to continue the case.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know of a website where I can check if I've got enough petrol in the tank, or air in the tyres?

Does anyone know of a website where I can check if I've got enough petrol in the tank, or air in the tyres?

Does anyone know of a website where I can check if I've wiped my bum properly? :LOL:

I think your all missing the point. New Rules.

Up my path, i have my own car, insured, legal, behind that i have a nice punto, requries engine work, no ins, as it's going nowere, behind that is my d reg campervan, which i will use shortly, so will insure.

Then i have one i slowly do up, behind that, again no insurance.

There has to be exempitions....................classics?...etc.

Sorry Libby. even classic cars have to be insured , if you want to drive them on the public highway. They may qualify for free tax, but would have to be insured and MOT'd to drive. If you only drive them a short mileage each year, the insurance should be cheaper (let's say less than 2 thousand miles in one year).

Even cars in Pub car parks now have to have insurance , tax etc. They can be clamped (even though it is technically private property)

If your doing a car up, then I'd check with the local plods. If it's in your front garden, they could well come and clamp it under the latest rules.

NO, new rules................own a vehicle, it must be insured up your path, incase you use it it and kill?

2nd attempt to get this through parliment? radio 4.

Same rules that allow them to clamp a car in a pub car park. Technically a pub car park is private ground (as in belongs to the pubco, brewery, or landlord). The law was altered a few years ago so the police could report and clamp and tow away vehicles which were not taxed, or insured. I have seen instances of this law being invoked in Oldham (where I used to work)
Pub landlord of the place my last company put me up in during the week, had his car clamped then towed away by Greater Manchester Constabulary. Simply because the insurance had elapsed. The car had 3 flat tyres, no MOT and had been SORN'ed too. Was parked on his land (pub car park), but they reckoned there was no excuse.

Sponsored Links
Back