Checking our electics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I was reading a while ago about electrical connections to two properties from the same service box(white one outside from the provider) and we have the same situation here, the second property is our granny flat.
i was concerned when I read that there should be a fused main swith between the henley block and the second cu if its longer that 3 yards and it is and there isn't one.
I've drawn a diagram.
DSC_0124.JPG

The reason I'm concerned it that out house has been used by a film company and a advising company over the last couple of years and they have all had a go messing about with the electrics to hide cables etc. do I need a fused main swith between the henley block and the second cu ?
cheers

Sponsored Links
From the point of view of safety, no, so long as the cables feeding the CU's are appropriately sized, since they are protected by the supplier's main fuse. However many suppliers have their own specific requirements for a customer-provided switchfuse where the tails exceed a certain length.

Thanks alot that is very reassuring, we will get an electrician to check it over sometime but a bit strapped for cash at the mo.

Sponsored Links
Well they assured me that they where qualified electricians but yeah! I will get It checked out.

Well they assured me that they where qualified electricians ....
They may well have been telling the truth about 'qualifications' (but quite probably not really about them being 'electricians'!) - but, unfortunately, in this field, there are 'qualifications and qualifications' (some of which result from 'courses' of 5 days or less)!

Kind Regards, John

2 electric showers and 2 electric cookers on a single service isn't exactly ideal either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back