CHILDISHNESS

Sponsored Links
We have always had rules stating no advertising allowed, we have never allowed advertising on the forums, the fact that the two posts indicated are dated after April is irrelevant, many changes have taken place over the years to the forum, the forum software has changed, categories have changed, things have been reorganised, old posts regarding the site have been updated and changed so older posts don't always remain.

Here is the predicament from our angle. We have been running since 2000, during that time we have spent a lot of time, money and effort building the site and the forums to where we are today. If at some point somebody comes along and starts advertising their new forum/site to the users using our site and expects that to be ok then they are wrong. We have never objected to people referencing other sites/forums when offering solutions/help to somebodies problems but free advertising is not on and will not be accepted.

Hope this makes it clear. :)

fair enough
and that people, is why urls are blocked...apparently

The real trouble with forum hopping is remembering where the buttons are.

As I posted before, I have certainly seen Nuovosierve advertised steadily by posts on screwfix. I didn't regularly read this board before screwfix self-destructed, so I don't know what was posted here. Anyone notice lots of advertising for Nuovo?

I havn't heard a measured reply from AskTT yet. I await developments. I would say to both of you though, that it is quite hard to hide a website freely available on the internet. You both have to beat screwfix, and anyone else out there who cares to start a forum.

I have seen lots of posts which look identical on more than one website at the same time. So either the public already knows about you all, or you guys are pinching interesting topics just to liven things up.

I do think the general interest level of screfix discussions had declined a bit since the advent of nuovo. Which is a shame, especially since from the public service point of view, I think screwfix does a good job. It has the obvious advantage of being right there when someone is buying. If they ever get back on line, perhaps I shall try asking what their point of view is officially.

The public forums on nuovo were pretty dismal sometimes. anything hidden up their sleeve?

There is a difference between advertising commercially and advertising informationally. It does rather sound like DIYnot is a hard-edged money making exercise? Any comments DIY? I don't know what AskTT have as game plan. AT least at the start it did not sound like a band of moneymakers. ?? comments anyone??

The war in Heaven goes on. Stars blazing across the skies.

Sponsored Links
Interesting comments. We don't have any intention of hiding any other sites the main policy we have regarding this has remained unchanged since the beginning, that is that intentional advertising we don't like, informational referencing of other sites we don't or ever have had a problem with.

Regarding the 'hard-edged' money making comment, money is obviously a bonus, but with the amount of posts this forum gets on a daily basis and the number of visitors to the general site, the amount of bandwidth costs are substantial, so some degree of money making becomes essential with the success of any site because it isn't cheap to run.

I hope we don't come across as an evil money making empire :evil: , that certainly is not our intention, our primary goal is to provide a useful and friendly site which will help and benefit all.
:)

I don't regard money making as evil.

But you have just changed your stated policy. Or at least I get the distinct impression you have blocked all references to askTT. This would seem to contravene your just statedly continuing policy of permitting informational links, but removing advertising ones.

Maybe you have been weeding out askTT plugs for ages? One might hope this could be done reasonably transparently without people noticing. So you just lost patience? Otherwise I am not sure what prompted this escalation of response.

I'm not sure what has caused this either, nothing from our end, originally the site in question advertised persistently on the forum, we added the site web address to the censored words list to combat this, but this was back in April sometime I think, since then nothing has changed, no further weeding out, nothing else.

They seem to have changed their name? I have yet to find out why this happened. Seems to be a more recent problem than April.

DIYnot said:
Regarding the 'hard-edged' money making comment, money is obviously a bonus, but with the amount of posts this forum gets on a daily basis and the number of visitors to the general site, the amount of bandwidth costs are substantial, so some degree of money making becomes essential with the success of any site because it isn't cheap to run.

I hope we don't come across as an evil money making empire :evil: , that certainly is not our intention, our primary goal is to provide a useful and friendly site which will help and benefit all.
:)
so its not actualy money making its covering your cost :D ;)
and of course you come accross as freindly :rolleyes: ;)

DIYnot said:
If the costs are so much then a good idea would be to charge members to post on here....say 50p a post? I know everyone on here wouldn't begrudge paying that to keep you going.

[/quote]If the costs are so much then a good idea would be to charge members to post on here....say 50p a post? I know everyone on here wouldn't begrudge paying that to keep you going.[/quote]

so that makes your contabution £600 over a full year ;)

Sponsored Links
Back