Chimney breast damp issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi if anyone has any help or suggestions i would be really grateful. We have two chimneys,one is in use and one is not. The roof was re tiled last summer. At the moment we are noticing more and more damp patches in the bedrooms on both chimney breasts (see the photos). I'm not sure if it is a flashing issue, condensation, or something else? What could be causing the problems?

Attachments

• IMG_2637 (1).jpg
    IMG_2637 (1).jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_2638.jpg
    IMG_2638.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 325
Sponsored Links
If the damp is full width or there abouts and just on the upper floor it's the flashing.

If it's in a defined area which aligns with the flue locations (one side upstairs, the other side downstairs) then it's flue condensation or vertical damp from the open end.

OP,
i assume that no portion of any chimney breast has been removed?
reading the Related Threads below will help you.

pics showing the chimney stacks, stack flashing, and any external chimney breasts will help?
also pics of the active fireplace(s) and the redundant fireplace(s)?

typically,you might have leaking flashing esp at the back gutter or possibly, if they are fitted, with your soakers.
the stack flaunching and pointing are sometimes causes of leaks.

the closet with the clothes - remove all clothes & belongings, & leave the doors open until your difficulties are sorted.
keep stripping all suspect wallpaper.
do you have access to see the chimney breasts in the tight loft space?

there's also the possibility that soot chemicals from unswept/unventilated flues is coming through the chimney breast brickwork and showing as damp signs.?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
HI thanks for all replies. I've had a good look in the attic and there doesn't seem to be any water coming in and the plasterboard above the water mark is bone dry and shows no sign of water. The damp just seems to be on the left hand side of the chimney when looking at it from the inside, however i'm not sure which is the flue side as that chimney has been blocked up. We have vents at the bottom of the chimney and vented cap at the topc. THe house is rendered and no clear signs of cracks etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back