Chimney breast....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can help me, Ive removed an old gas fire and Tiled(glazed) fire place that was probably fitted in the 50/60s?
I am left with this as in the photos...its looks like someone has thrown odd bits of brick and mortar into the fireplace opening...…
Can I remove all these bricks up to the red arrows without supporting chimney?
Cheers for any help....

Attachments

• IMG_7918.JPG
    IMG_7918.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 249
Sponsored Links
nock off the plaster for about 300mm-400mm above the top,you might find a brick arch.
whats the final plan for the opening?

Sponsored Links
Cheers....we are thinking of having a Gas 'Wood burning stove' fitted...so chimney will have to be 'lined' too...

the opening has to be to stove mfr's dimensions.so sort your stove out an read the install instructions before any work.
all the infill stuff can come out after youve sorted the arch or lintel.

Just knocked the plaster off to a height of 5 foot from the floor....and cant see anything apart from normal rows of bricks :(
IMG_7993.JPG

You could fit a catnic above to give the correct support to the brickwork, then a decorative oak beam below it.

But make sure the oak is the correct distance away from the woodburner.

The galv cable capping was probably for an electric clock feed.

Real fires heat the stack and thus radiate heat for a few days. The room quickly goes cold once a woodburner goes out.

I would remove the bricks you highlighted, the chimney won't collapse.

the original brick arch was taken out when the opening was made smaller - probly because the whoever couldnt infill below the arch curve.

thers a metal lintel holdin up some bricks but when youve got your correct height then insert a concrete lintel and only then remove the metal lintel an infill below.
probly safe to remove now but why chance it before fittin a conc lintel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back